Bunion Operation

Posted , 117 users are following.

I hope this will help anybody having or thinking of having a bunion operation.

I had my operation on my right foot 4 weeks ago. I had read so many horrific articles about how painful it is etc. etc. I can only speak for myself, I felt some pain for a couple of days which painkillers took care of. After that it was a little uncomfortable for 10 days. After two weeks I went back and had the dressing changed, and apart from the inconvenience of resting my foot for 6 weeks, I would not hesitate in having the left one operated. I still have two weeks to go before I return to the fracture clinic and have the plaster dressing removed. Hopefully then I will be able to start walking again. I was given elbow crutches a black boot to wear when moving about the house, these has been a godsend.

I hope this has helped anybody who is worried about having a bunion operation.

16 likes, 568 replies

568 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

@Lynn7777 - There are a few podiatrists who do bunion surgery (not many) but because they don't perform the work in a hospital setting, it is not covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan). I investigated this option several years ago and the cost was upwards of $5000.

In fact, there are precious few surgeons who will take on bunion patients - I was only able to find two in my area (just west of Toronto). My family doctor had sent requests out to several surgeons and most of them replied that they weren't interested.

The first surgeon I saw was an older man who seemed very confused (he said he was tired that day) and asked me questions but didn't listen to the answers.

For example, he asked if I could do my job from home. "Yes", I replied. "Well that could a problem if you aren't able to work from home".

Second example: "Did you bring xrays with you?" "Uh, yes, you loaded the CD into your computer and we've already looked at them".

Needless to say, he did not fill me with confidence.

He wanted to do both feet at the same time, but since I live alone in a home with tons of stairs, it didn't seem the best choice for my situation.

The second surgeon I saw (who I booked with) is a young guy, very knowledgeable and up-to-date. He took the time to explain exactly what the surgery would entail (breaking my big toe, yikes).

• Posted

Did you end up having surgery ?

i just had a consult with a podiatrist , 4600 plus 160 X-rays  and a must thereafter wear orthotics $500.   Booty for 6 weeks , Advil for a few hours and you are awake. Local freezing .  No scar no pins. 

Going for for a consult ( the whole thing free under  Ohip) however from speaking to friends that have had the procedure with an orthopedic surgeon they are in so much pain that they want to tear their eyeballs out for 2 to 7 days.    One friend went three times , her pin came loose and then had pain from bone fragments. 

Spoke to two GPS and they both had different opinions on who to go with. also I hate closed shoes and will have to wear them if I need orthotics. I suppose the pin holds it all together so orthotics are not needed. 

So 

pain vs no pain 

free vs $5000

orthotics vs nothing 

I'm leaning towards no pain , no scar , fast recovery and broke

• Posted

I'm going to have to bit the bullet and go and see my GP about my bunions, they now ache so much it wakes me up at night, and am developing hammer toes and overlapping of little toes. I only get minimum statutory sick leave, and live on my own....anyone had (hopefully good!) experience of microsurgery....and is there anyone in the North West that they can recommend??
  • Posted

Hi all, I first joined this forum back in July when I had a scarf/Akins osteotomy on my R foot. I am now 6 days post op for same procedure on L foot. My R foot is now nearly 5 months post op and about 95% recovered. Swelling and numbness gone and back into all my shoes, I even comfortably managed heels at a wedding a couple of wks ago! I still have some stiffness in the joint of my big toe but it doesn't impact on any activities I do. If i have the same good outcome with L foot ill be a happy bunny!

I had my surgery done by an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot surgery, says he's done 100's of bunion ops. I would just reiterate some comments already made. Do your research and get a good surgeon who specializes in this type of op, then follow your post op instructions to the letter, particularly with regard to rest and elevation of the foot/feet for the first few wks. It may be 8-12 wks before you are back in your normal shoes.

I had mine done separately because I didn't have help at home during the day, if you can get both done together then it saves a second op like I've just had so probably better. Good luck everyone

• Posted

Hi

Just a random question - How soon after your operation are you able to wash your foot/feet? My op was on 9 days ago and I'm due back at the hospital this Friday for a dressing change.

My dressing has come off now several times and I have been so tempted to wash my feet, I haven't been given any guidance on this. I have seen my scars all seems fine but I would love to give my feet a wash.

Thanks

• Posted

I had bunion surgery on both feet just over 7 weeks ago - my left foot is pain free and easily can get shoes on and off - wide hiking shoes. However my left foot is more swollen and hurts along the big toe. I phoned the surgeon's nurse on Friday about this and she said to wait until Friday's appointment when I get an X-ray. I am worried about nerve damage and whether I should be resting it or using it. Anyone else had big difference between feet?
  • Posted

Debbie I got to get my feet wet on day 10. Was allowed to take dressings off for the shower and just let warm water run over them, pat dry and let them air for a short time before replacing dressings. Was a bit scared at first but it got easier to do.

Jules I got my both feet done on 16th July and left foot is fine but I still get pain along right big toe. Consultant said is more coming from stiffness and may ease off but also may not. No sign of it easing yet but he also said the x ray showed arthritis in that toe. 7 weeks isn't that long after op. I was still off work at that point. I didn't go back till 10 weeks post op.

• Posted

Hi debbie 1806, do you still have sutures in wound or the soluble type? Once there are no sutures and wound has healed over it is usually ok to get it wet. You could ask on Friday when they do your dressing.

My doc removes dressing totally at the 2wk mark and then applies a fabric splint to keep foot in correct alignment, but you are allowed to remove that and get foot wet in shower. Maybe nurse would be nice and give your foot a wash before they re bandage it, you could always ask!!!

• Posted

Hi everyone, had my second foot op 4 days ago and can report it was a lot less painful than the first time for the first 24 hours. I don't know why except that I started the painkillers about 1 hour after the op and made sure I had the max dose poss in my system for about 12 hours. Also used frozen peas for first few hours.

Now have to wait 2 weeks with my foot in the back half of a knee high plastic boot, not allowed to put it to the ground lots of time sitting with it raised etc.

My surgeon is a podiatrist who has trained as a surgeon he has a huge reputation in our local area, works out of a private hospital but the NHS GP's will refer to him if asked and for challenging bunions like mine.

It took around 9 months after the first foot before there was no pain at all and I could forget I had had it, most of that time it was very low level pain and I didn't need to take anything for it. It also takes months before the swelling goes away.

Good luck everyone.

• Posted

Hi judy4 thats good to hear as I have my other foot done on the 8th jan im 16weeks post op and im still unsble to bend my second and third toe only slight movement do if im in hard soled shoes/boots I have discomfort but dont need to take any pain relief unsure if I will get full movement back (need to ask) im hoping so heel I still cant wear (due to not being able to bend toes) x
  • Posted

Good luck, it has taken ages in my case but very pleased with the first foot now 11 months on.

• Posted

Karen351 thanks for sharing your experience - guess I need to wait for the X-Ray but toe in my case is not that stiff more difficulty in bending down than bending toe up. Hope I'm too young for arthritis at 37!
  • Posted

Karen/Wendy … thanks for your input, mine are soluble stitches - I think I will be patient and wait for my visit on Friday. No sure what to expect from this visit really, my wound looks pretty fine, do they need to re dress this again?

I keep wondering if Im not resting enough as I seem to be getting around quite easily?

When you say you had a fabric splint - does this mean you no longer need to wear the shoes they provide.

I very much doubt a foot wash would be on offer :-)

Cannot believe reading about bunions is so entertaining :-)

• Posted

LOL to last comment debbie, but then when you are stuck on the sofa with feet in air you need something to keep you entertained!!

I think you are wise to wait till Friday, always best to be guided by medical staff but as you will be 14 days post op by then I would be surprised if you weren't ok to get foot wet. I also wouldn't have thought you would still need feet bandaged unless they are using bandage as a splint to support bones.

I did have to keep wearing Velcro shoe as well as splint but when I asked the doc he just looked down at it and said "yes, because you won't get anything else on" so I took that to mean it wasn't really necessary to protect foot, so I wore if I went out anywhere but at home I wore slippers, the soft fabric kind with non slip soles.

As for if your are resting enough I think you can be guided by your feet, if they are not too swollen and not hurting then you are probably getting enough rest.

Jules23 I wouldn't be too concerned about your toe at only 7 wks. With my R foot my big toe was still numb and painful and swollen. It was also very stiff and it's the bending down that is the hardest. I started to worry I might have permanent nerve damage but it gradually improved and at some point feeling returned. As I said before it is still a bit stiff at 5 months but not really an issue. I think no two feet are the same, my R foot had worst bunion and now with op on L foot even though I had same procedure foot is less swollen and big toe already has feeling in it

• Posted

Wendy 4 - that is exactly what I am thinking - permanent nerve damage! I guess with my left foot feeling so good I feel frustrated that my right doesn't. I also have the added pressure that I start training with my guide dog on Monday and last Monday when I did my matching walk with her I couldn't keep up she walked so fast! Can you remember when the pain began to ease when you walked outside?

Just to add to shoe discussion - I have to wear fabric splints at night and on Friday when I have another xray the surgeon will let me know if I need to continue with this. I wear the Velcro shoes around the house because they are comfortable and protect my heels from our hard floorboards!

It is mad that we are all talking about bunions - for me it is because of pain - I want to understand the pain and get any tips to help as well has have some ideas of what to expect based on others experiences. Thank goodness for on line xmas shopping!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.