Bunion Operation

Posted , 117 users are following.

I hope this will help anybody having or thinking of having a bunion operation.

I had my operation on my right foot 4 weeks ago. I had read so many horrific articles about how painful it is etc. etc. I can only speak for myself, I felt some pain for a couple of days which painkillers took care of. After that it was a little uncomfortable for 10 days. After two weeks I went back and had the dressing changed, and apart from the inconvenience of resting my foot for 6 weeks, I would not hesitate in having the left one operated. I still have two weeks to go before I return to the fracture clinic and have the plaster dressing removed. Hopefully then I will be able to start walking again. I was given elbow crutches a black boot to wear when moving about the house, these has been a godsend.

I hope this has helped anybody who is worried about having a bunion operation.

16 likes, 568 replies

568 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I thought I would explain my recent bunion removal and toe re-alignment.

i had surgery on both feet at the same time on 19th March 2014. I had bunions on both feet and my 2nd toe was also bent and needed breaking,fusing and pinning. My left foot was giving me problems, causing me to limp slightly. I play golf regularly, do lots of walking and have a job in construction which entails site visits The operation went well and lasted approx 3 hours. 

• Posted

I reached 1 week yesterday and I must say it has not been at all as difficult or painful as I had feared! On two occasions I had a few moments of pain but other than that it's been fine. The hard part is the lying around with my leg propped up and not being able to do for myself. I go back to the doctor on July 2 to have soft cast removed and hard cast put on. I appreciate so much the advice given on this thread. Even though it is difficult I am faithfully resting and elevating to hopefully speed healing!!
  • Posted

Hello all ex-bunion sufferers!

This is Jinny and I have enjoyed reading all your comments on this blog it has made me realise that there are plenty of fellow bunion sufferers out there who have come to the end of the line and decided to go for it!

I went for the double bunion with big toe straightening/pin option and I had my op 5 days ago. Hosp was pretty bad as the morphine and codeine didn't agree with me and I was very sick so they kept me in for 2 nights. Now that I am home and only taking the paracetamol things are a lot better! It's one way to lose weight but not one I would recommend!

After reading these blogs I have been on line and ordered the limbo bags and look forward to a decent shower!

Is there anyone else out there who is at the same stage as me?

• Posted

Hello all,

I had an austin-youngswick bunionectomy 3 days ago.  I have been putting this off for years afraid of the recovery and have to say so far it's not as bad as I thought it would be.  The doctor said I will need to wear the boot any time I am on my foot for 6 weeks.  He advised to have foot elevated and only to get up to go to bathroom for the first week.  I have been pretty good at staying down and icing and elevating.  My concern is that my foot has been really numb since surgery and have now started to feel tingling in my toes.  Is this normal to have numbness this long?  Everything I've read says the numbness will wear off first night and need pain meds after that, I'm worried about nerve damage.  It has some pain, but not enough that I've had to take any pain medicine.  The only medicine I have taken is the Celebrex prescribed for inflamation.

• Posted

I was told on Thursday that I have the option of having the operation or having an ortheopedic insole installed.  i had read such horror stories about bunion surgery recovery that I opted for the insole.  However, since then I have discussed it at work and been informed by 2 colleagues that their operations were massively succesful.  They had very little pain, and were on their feet well within the 3 month prediction.  I am 47, and don't really believe the insole thing will help much. I believe that corrective surgery is the only answer. However, with everyday life and so much depending on me being active , it's impossible at the moment.  I'm planning to have the operation in about a year and a half to 2 years, and planning to delegate!  It's been great to read others experiences
    • Posted

Hi Alison,

I understand completely your thoughts regarding the surgery. I am 57 and have had bad bunions as long as I can remember. My family doctor advised against the surgery and with raising 4 children I felt like I couldn't even entertain the idea of surgery. However, now that they are all grown (and can help me!) I had the surgery done on my right foot in June. It has not been bad at all. I've had very little pain. The biggest problem is the inability to get around. I had a procedure on my heel also (bone spurs removed) so I am non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. The surgery recovery has been so good so far that I am planning to have the bunionectomy done on my left foot before the end of the year. I am still in the cast, so I am going to see how the remainder of the recovery process goes once the cast is off; then I will make my decision. Best wishes to you!

• Posted

Hello'

My name is Briana and I'm 15. I'm hopefully going to have bunion surgery before school starts because if all the walking and stuff you have to do in high school. I haven't really heard of anyone having bunions as young as I am. I'm kind if nervous for the surgery but also excited. My feet are going to look normal again!! Lol. I started having pain a couple years ago when I was doing competitive gymnastics. It started hurting and I just thought it was normal and now I have bunions. How fun! Not really. I'm scared too. I've read so many stories about people still having pain even after the surgery. What do they have to do pre-op? I'm not sure if I'm just having one foot done or both. I hope just one for now because it would be easier getting around at school. Well it was nice reading your story and I hope you're pain free one of these days!! 

- Briana

• Posted

Hi Briana, 

I am 25 and have had bunions since I was about 11. I am only now looking into having an operation - I have a consultation with a surgeon in August. I an surprised you're thinking of having the operation so young. I was told I would not be able to have one until I was at least 21 because your bones need to fully develop otherwise an operation would be pointless. I would definitely recommend toe spacers which you can wear during the day or at night, this will help reduce the toe moving any further. Also I saw a shoropodist as a teenager and they gave me exercises to do to reduce my arch from collapsing. I have decided to have the operation now as the pain has got worse and is constant. I can't imagine it would be fun having the operation while at school because there'll be a lot of stuff you can't do during the recovery time. But this is obviously your choice!! I hope I am not too negative. Perhaps have a chat with your doctor and see what they say. Best of luck and let us know what you decide to do. 

• Posted

Hi, I am thinking of having the operation but haven't even done any research yet.  I am scared to have the op because my hobby is walking for sometimes 35km at a time for three weeks and I'm very sporty.  I'm scared that my feet will not take that kind of workout after the op or that I won't have any feeling in my big toe.  I have hereditary bunions and my right big toe is beginning to overlap the next toe.  I find it uncomfortable but not painful yet but can't wear anything except lace ups due to the bulge.  Can any sporty person tell me it's alright to have this op?
    • Posted

There are a lot of fitness fans of various kinds here. In fact I'm theorizing that it's our interest in being active that aggravates the bunion to the point it needs attention. I'm only 5 weeks out from a Lapidus on the right and have only minimal numbness along the incision. Of course I insisted the surgeon put me in a surgical boot after the surgical splint, so my incision got more air and my tendons and ligaments were able to stretch and wiggle a lot more than when they trap you in a full leg cast.
    • Posted

Thanks for my first reply.  I looked on line and a Lapidus sounds quite life changing, what with removing bone & fusing.  I need to be convinced by someone who can tell me of a less invasive op which they had at least a year ago and are back to normal, if that's likely.  Hopefully someone can convince me of this?  I am just over 60 now and if I couldn't go on hikes after the op my life would be miserable. sad
  • Posted

Hi I also recently had bunion operation end of October 2014 on both feet, and the operation has gone well.  I too had heard all the horror stories and some with my consultant about them and the are unfounded. I wear surgical boots on both feet and heal walk  which you get use too. It's important the first three weeks to keep yr walking down to toilet and bed andhave yr feet elevated all the time. I did as instructed take the medication as prescribed to stop pain building up, also my surgeon injects a pain block during the operation which lasts upto 12 hrs post op.  The pain experienced by me was more like discomfort.  I go back to clinic Christmas Eve and then the rehabilitation ie putting weight on toes will begin.  Having two feet operated upon has been possible because I don't live alone.  Yr not covered by car insurance until the surgeon is satisfied that you can complete an emergency stop.  I would recommend the operation.
    • Posted

Do you think it is possible to manage on your own if friends drop in regularly to help?

• Posted

I absolutely agree with MrsSAS. I just had my 2-week follow up yesterday and my surgeon  is very pleased with the result. I am ecstatic and couldn't think of a better Christmas present. My feet are beautifully straight. They are still bruised & swollen and extremely dry. I rubbed some olive oil into them today; somewhat gingerly I have to say. I still need to elevate my feet as much as possible. Pain is negligible just a bit stingy. Have my 6-week follow up and X-rays on Jan 22nd. I had a bi lateral MICA and a brilliant surgeon. Feeling blessed! Merry Christmas to all 🎄🎄🎅
  • Posted

I'm just over one week since I had minimal invasive bunion surgery.  I have a boot on so that I can only walk on my feel and get that removed in 5 days time,which will be two weeks since the operation.  I only took three days of work so have been at work all week and although my job is sitting down all day I'm finding that people at work are not considerate and I'm up and down all the time. Because of that I'm finding my foots aching all the time although I only needed the painkillers for the first couple of days.  I would definately recommend anyone having the surgery book the appropriate amount of time off work.  As far as the results are concerned I haven't seenit yet but will give you an update after Wednesday. 

Does anyone know if I'llbe able to swim after the dressing comes off (two weeks)?

• Posted

Hi Veronica I was just curious how you're getting on? I have MIS planned on both my feet for next month. I can't wait.
    • Posted

Hi, I'm getting on great. It's been 10 weeks now since I had the operation and I now only have a slight limp, mainly because my toe still isn't flat to the floor yet but I have noticed a big difference in the swelling in the last couple of weeks. My foot is still healing because I still have the darker blue colour in my foot whereas my other foot is just normal colour. I have really being challenging my toes over the last week doing excercises I got from the Internet and it's made a massive difference to the mobility of my foot.  I was pushing my toes to the point of pain, holding then repeating but what I have found is the more I push my toes and excercise them the pain does not last and it's working because I can almost balance my body on that one foot, on my toes. I think it will be a lot harder for you in the early days because you are having both feet done at the same time.  What I would say is don't try and do too much in the first 6 weeks just let your feet heal. After 6 weeks start doing the excercises but don't push your toes to discomfort just try to get some mobility back in them and keep doing that whenever you can in a day and then when you get to 9 weeks + start excercising them properly. Have a look on the Internet and you will get some good excercises to do. Good luck and let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

Hi, I just wondered if you had your op yet and how you were getting on. I'm due to have both bunions removed next month and most people seem to have just one removed at a time. I wanted it over and done with as I've heard it's so painful that some people don't go back to have the 2nd one removed. I am absolutely terrified and the recovery period seems longer and in a lot of cases more painful than I had expected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.