Bunion operation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Thought i would share my own experience of having lived with the pain of having a bunion to having it removed. After living with the pain i decided enough was enough i work in catering long hours on my feet and the pain was terrible ithrough my doctor i was referred to a podiatrist i really wasnt ready for surgery financially so i opted for injections these helped initially until i started to get a swelling between my third toe this was more painful than the bunion my podiatrist explained the swelling was due to the way i was walking trying to compensate for the bunion again opted for injections. Over a period of two years i think i would of had five injections in total (not a pleasant procedure) the injections seemed to work on the bunion but not on the swelling i was in total agony i made another visit to the podiatrist and was sent for more x rays

the bunion was growing at rather a alarming rate so i gritted my teeth and agreed on surgery bunion removal + fusion my operation was scheduled for the 21-03-2016(day surgery)  i was given a general anesthetic(My choice)

the operation took around 45min-1 hour my foot was heavily bandaged (no cast) was very numb for the first 24-36 hours i was dreadnig what was to come pain wise but i can honestly say the little pain ive had was like vinegar being poured on a open wound but only lasted minutes   i am now two weeks post op and am due for my two week check up tomorrow 04-04-2016  boredom has been the worst part keeping my foot elevated for what seems like forever i have managed to have showers daily with the aid of my husband making sure i didnt slip (bless him ) and a waterproof shower sleeve that i purchased from boots although not as waterproof as they say had to tape it up a bit around the drawstring toggles.Really cannot wait to see whats under all this packaging i will keep you posted 

1 like, 108 replies

108 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi angela32222 I had the same procedure same day and I too am going back for dressing change tomorrow! Boredom is incredible! How have you managed on crutches? I have had a few near misses and haven't been out doors since surgery!  I was advised no weight bearing for 2 weeks so have managed not to. How about you? smile
    • Posted

My special shoe and crutches although I'm useless with the crutches so decided to just use one please let me know how you get on tomorrow I have been out a little to visit friends to relive the boredom a bit and I managed a trip to Asda
  • Posted

Hi Angela, I just had a bunion operation on my right foot last Thu 24 March 2016. i will be seeing my doctor this Fri 8 Apr 2016 to have the stitches removed. I have got off pain killers 3 days after my surgery which is a good sign. I can walk about on my surgery boot although limping. My foot is heavily bandaged and I have to elevate my leg often otherwise the swell is getting on to my bounded foot.

I am off work for a month, I hope I do not need to wear the surgery boot after the stitches have been removed. My husband has helped me in my daily showers to ensure I do not wet the bandaged foot.

It's really bored staying at home for these 2 weeks!

Hope to hear of your speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi Alicia will let you know tomorrow can't wait !!!! I think boredom as been the worst thing I also got a sick note for a month but have to get a fit note before I return to work I work in catering and light duties are non exist ant ten hour shifts are the norm for me so not sure if 4 weeks will be enough I'm praying it is but daren't get my hopes up never thought I'd miss going to work !!!
    • Posted

Hi alice how you getting on big day tomorrow bet you cannot wait to get those stiches out although mine are dissolvable so maybe not as bad for me just keep soaking my foot to help the process not many left now still having to wear my special shoe though with a sock as i cant get my foot in shoes yet even though they are wide fitting they are ones i had purchased when my bunion was at its largest before my op so im just hoping the swelling will go down before my sick note runs out  im sure it will   good luck tomorrow
  • Posted

Hi Angela,  I was operated on my right foot for a hammer toe and severe bunion on 22nd March (in a Brussels hospital where they were treating the injured from the terrorist attacks that day, so not a date I am likely to forget!).  I was probably in considerably less pain than you prior to the operation, but mine lasted almost two hours, almost twice as long as the surgeon had predicted.  I think quite often they don’t really know what will need doing until they open you up, so I’m very glad I opted, like you, for a general anaesthetic.  I had thought about having the ‘twilight’ system, but am so pleased now I didn’t go for it! I’m also really glad that the doctor refused to do both feet at the same time. Even though, like you, I don’t have a cast and was given a special shoe which permits heel walking with a crutch, nonetheless getting around at all the first week was really painful. I just don’t know how I would have coped without one good foot. But you are so lucky you are having a check -up so soon as I’ve got to wait until the 11th.  I think I shall be going crazy by then! Also I have absolutely no appetite, so will be wasting away. Will they be taking out the stitches? Do hope so. All the best of luck for tomorrow.
    • Posted

Bless you how awful but I know what you mean with the going crazy bit especially if like me your so active normally I do ten hour shifts so to just do nothing is soul destroying can't tell you how many films I've watched and I didn't know half the programs on television existed I was taking cocodimal for pain and didn't have any appetite either I also felt sick and dizzy every time I sat down to a meal so I came off them and just take ibuprofen and feel fine now took a good 24 hours to get them out my system
    • Posted

Hi angela and amanda

Its 2 weeks today for me post op. I am so glad pain was only 2nd-3rd day really I managed on paracetamol-thank heavens as anything stronger wouldn't have been possible with crutches! I have not walked on my heel at all my special shoe is only a flat cheap velcro-fastening thing without a heel to balance on. I am back for my first dressing change today, 2 weeks sees a long time really to me for a dressing change but its intact and nly a small area of bleed through. I had dissolvable sutures. I think the K-WIRE wont be out until a further 2 weeks ( makes me feel sick thinking about it!!).

Will keep you both posted with what happens today. I was given a certificate for 8 weeks after the surgery, however I have a very active job working long shifts, I doubt I will be back to norma;but I hope so, going crazy so many tv channels but nothing to watch! I have loads of written work I had planned to do for work, however I just can't concentrate and am easily distracted by fb and this site-which has been very useful. wink

• Posted

I was a bit confused with the sick note I was told 6-8 weeks but then got a sick note for 4 weeks think I have to rely on my GP for a fit note iI had also got loads planned paper work for work jigsaws coloring (adult coloring books)reading ect done none of them cannot concentrate enough good luck for today hope all goes well my appointment is this afternoon I will keep you posted
  • Posted

Hi Angela and Nellie, couldn't agree more about the concentration problem!  I made lists of sedentary things to do, and piled up books I've been wanting to read for ages but never had the time to do so, and now when I have the time find that my attention span is  no more than five minutes at best.  All very frustrating.  Can't stand the television, thank goodness for the internet (the World Figure Skating Championships were heaven sent even though I know absolutely nothing about ice skating and have never previously taken any interest in it).  Planning my first trip out this afternoon - to the supermarket! Such excitement. Desperation must be setting in.....  Thinking of you both, hope all goes well at your check-ups.
    • Posted

Oh well had my dressing changed, I almost fainted as I was a bit anxious about dressing stickng ect. ( Very embaressing as I am a nurse cringe!)  Foot looked good,Dr was pleased as limited bruising thx to elevation.. I have had  dissolvable sutures removed as some were too long. Iv been told to observe for inflammation   from suture site. foot has been cleaned and re dressed and advised to walk on heel for two days then to walk flat footed no bending toes of course.. I am due back in 4 weeks for K wire removal ( will need a GA !). Knocked my foot getting back in the car. My 2nd toe is very sore.. Told to bring trainers t my next appointment!  Good luck Angela xx
    • Posted

Ha ha I'm the worlds worst Only took one look and the feeling of fainting came over me I was boiling hot and at to lie down till the feeling passed looks really bruised and swollen and had bled a bit stitches dissolvable they did not re dress the wound told me to go home wash the foot and start to walk as normal as possible went home put my foot in salt water and nearly passed out again think it seems to hurt more now that I can see it thought they would of put some sort of padding on but no nothing can't imagine what it would be like knocking it don't need to go back for 6 months (Sod's law you knock your foot when your trying to be so careful )
    • Posted

Forgot to add my 2nd toe is sore too it's really embedded itself to the side of my big toe can't seem to be able to move it x x
    • Posted

I also thought my 2nd toe was close to my big toe- ready for doing my ballet pirouetting lol! When the lovely nurse tried to clean between the toes I nearly keeled over! I had my eyes shut like a crazy person I was praying that the gauze would not catch on the wire I have sticking out!! Im dreading the toe exercises (Ive been looking on You tube!) . I read somewhere that people wear walking socks to aid the cushioning under your foot. I think I may get a GEL shoe insert .Just hope I will fit in my trainers otherwise will take a shoe box and celotape and fashion a customised big-foot shoe!!!
    • Posted

Ouch, salt water was not a good idea - must have been agony! Must say I'm amazed they don't want to see you for another six months. What happens in the meantime? Has your foot been x-rayed since the surgery?  

• Posted

No no x rays just said to keep massaging the toe to bathe it and walk as normal I asked about work and she said to take the 4weeks with being on my feet most of the day although work will want a fit note from my GP and that I will get a appointment for 6months time no dressings no nothing so hope I don't knock it how did u get on with your shopping
    • Posted

This sounds like a very minimalist approach to me. Aren't we supposed to do exercises to strengthen the muscles etc. and that sort of thing?  Especially if you hope to get back to work in 4 weeks' time. As for the shopping, never knew it could be so exhausting!  My daughter pushed me round in a wheelchair with one of those special trollies attached on the front.  Good job the supermarket was pretty empty, it's not at all easy navigating the combo.  Turning corners was very tricky and only one checkout was wide enough to accommodate the wheelchair, and of course, the queue for that one was the longest so we waited for ages! Makes you appreciate a little more how much more difficult it is for the disabled to do these everyday tasks, which makes me feel a bit less sorry for myself.  How's your foot feeling today?
    • Posted

Wish I could of seen you in the supermarket !!! I'm doing ok foot seems really tight around the stitches still makes me feel sick when I look at it though also to add to my problem i have come out in hives all over my body just got back from doctors said it. Could be caused by stress medication or a insect bite gave me some tablets I just want to scratch my skin off also not one shoe fits me and their wide fitting so it was either slippers or my special shoe chose my special shoe cause it was raining
    • Posted

Wow, you are  having a tough time.  Sounds really uncomfortable, so let's hope the tablets work.  From what others have written on this site, it's normal that none of your ordinary shoes fit you yet, and probably won't for another couple of weeks at best - so don't get disheartened! My husband keeps telling me that patience is a great virtue, but I think that  with this sort of surgery it's an absolute necessity! I'm planning a ceremonial burning of my special shoe once I don't need it any more....
    • Posted

You do make me laugh your husband sounds like mine but their right patience is the best medicine not that god gave me much of it !!!!
    • Posted

Good morning Angela, hope the tablets have worked and you're feeling a lot better today.  How's the walking progressing? Doesn't hurt too much, I hope.  My foot still really aches/throbs if  I have it below waist level for any more than 5 minutes, so can't really imagine walking much at all at present!
    • Posted

Good morning the tablets worked all gone now so back to concentrating on my foot did a fair bit yesterday and my foot swelled up more than normal gave it a good foot bath that helped no end especially with the stiches nearly all dissolved when I got up this morning so that's good but still a fair amount of throbbing and stinging going on still a bit bruised looking and my big toes twice the normal size how are you getting on
    • Posted

Well,  it all sounds to be going much better for you than yesterday.   One day at a time, as they say. This morning my daughter took me to a large shopping mall and spent a couple of hours pushing me around in the wheel chair - great to get out, I've never been much good at being at being cooped up in the house. But everything is so much effort, I was quite exhausted after the trip, so am now recuperating with ice and elevation! Would love to try a food bath, sounds lovely, but can't as I'm still all bandaged up and must keep everything dry......
    • Posted

Friends took me shopping today, but refused to push me in a wheel chair. Found holding onto a trolley quite good. Top tip - I wrapped my pin & foot in cling film, then taped a cut up pop sock on, so I didn't spooke the other customers. Felt it kep the foot clean! Great to hear others are sharing this strange life.
    • Posted

You're definitely braver than I am!  Could not have managed without the wheelchair, and even with that my foot was unhappy with not being elevated after the first hour.  Think I've got quite a way to go before normal life returns. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.