Bunion operation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Thought i would share my own experience of having lived with the pain of having a bunion to having it removed. After living with the pain i decided enough was enough i work in catering long hours on my feet and the pain was terrible ithrough my doctor i was referred to a podiatrist i really wasnt ready for surgery financially so i opted for injections these helped initially until i started to get a swelling between my third toe this was more painful than the bunion my podiatrist explained the swelling was due to the way i was walking trying to compensate for the bunion again opted for injections. Over a period of two years i think i would of had five injections in total (not a pleasant procedure) the injections seemed to work on the bunion but not on the swelling i was in total agony i made another visit to the podiatrist and was sent for more x rays

the bunion was growing at rather a alarming rate so i gritted my teeth and agreed on surgery bunion removal + fusion my operation was scheduled for the 21-03-2016(day surgery)  i was given a general anesthetic(My choice)

the operation took around 45min-1 hour my foot was heavily bandaged (no cast) was very numb for the first 24-36 hours i was dreadnig what was to come pain wise but i can honestly say the little pain ive had was like vinegar being poured on a open wound but only lasted minutes   i am now two weeks post op and am due for my two week check up tomorrow 04-04-2016  boredom has been the worst part keeping my foot elevated for what seems like forever i have managed to have showers daily with the aid of my husband making sure i didnt slip (bless him ) and a waterproof shower sleeve that i purchased from boots although not as waterproof as they say had to tape it up a bit around the drawstring toggles.Really cannot wait to see whats under all this packaging i will keep you posted 

1 like, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Week 6. I had the pin in my hammer toe removed yesterday & can at last take off the Darco Boot. But felt a bit deflated! Pin removal was fine, but finding putting weight on my foot a challenge. Not sore, but doesn't bend a lot. Wish I had bought bigger shoes before the op. Had to cut the back of my gardening shoes just to get something to fit for my jaunt otuside.I have to go back in 3 weeks to get 2 k pins removed. Still, small 'steps'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.