Bunion operation.....one year on today!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Today marks exactly one year since I had a double bunionectomy and all I can say is it has been such a success. I would advise anyone thinking of going through with this operation whether it would be for just one or both feet and as long as you have planned ahead for example help during and after, work commitments and general wellbeing. There will and should be no problems. 

I may have been one of the lucky ones as I only experienced pain on day 2 after my operation. I think by taking preventative care such as Arnica and Zinc and Calcium tablets for which I still take now as I was told that I had soft bones, which was not the case as according to a dexa bone scan I had it showed that my bones where fine and the problem was with the poor x-ray image from the operation.

I never actually returned to work until 2.5 months after my operation and did not use public transport for around 2 weeks as advised by my surgeon so my work organised and paid for mini cabs. They were really good and supportive to me and then conveniently we broke up for Christmas holidays.

The biggest success to me was getting my full range of motion back after having physiotherapy which I followed and completed properly. I was wearing high heels after 5 months and was walking fast and running without any pain.

I must stress one thing though I still get puffiness on both feet especially first thing in the morning, if I have walked for ages and after hot baths. It is getting much better and I know that it can take in some cases longer than a year for full recovery

I would like to hear from anyone who has passed the one year mark and also anyone wanting advice whether you are thinking or have recently just had an operation done.

Good luck all and happy one year anniversary to me!

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow, I loved reading your story....im hoping you will still be able to see my response after such a long time. It gives me confidence to move forward and actually start my journey. Im hopefully having a double and hammertoe, but thats up to my surgeon. fingers crossed your still progressing Rainey123. I hope so.
  • Posted

Hi,

How long did it take to get your range of motion back? I had surgery on my right foot about 4 months ago and I still have limited upward motion in my toe.

Thank you,

Hire

• Posted

Hi

​For me at has been two years and like you, I am so happy I got them both done and at the same time too.  Im not saying it wasnt hard for the first month after but from that point it got better all the time.  Before having the op I was in pain every time I walked and couldnt find shoes or walking boots that would fit well.  Less than a year after I did a 6 day wilderness trip in Canada carrying a 40bl back pack.  My feet didnt hurt once... although my knees did.  That was a new experience!  As for the swelling, it took a long, long time for my feet and ankles to get back to normal.  They were still puffy at the 1 year mark, although by a year and a half they are completely normal.  I recommend yoga as this helped me to start standing and distributing my weight correctly on my feet.  I also wore crocs as much as I could as they are really comfortable on the bottom of your feet.

• Posted

It's been 3 years since my bunion surgery (both feet) and my only complaint is that my big toes do not sit flat on the floor with the rest of my feet. I have no pain what so ever, and have full range of motion in both feet. I know people have complications but I too would recommend the surgery, best thing I ever did! I do however wonder of others have my same problem of my big toes being elevated when I'm standing? Any feed back would be great! 😁

• Posted

Hi Rainey just want to ask you, i had my surgery this Monday and they were supposed to change the dressing yesterday but they cancelled me and has to wait till Monday. The surgeon told me that he would close the incision site with plastic surgery. Just want to ask what exactly they do when they change the dressing? I am still in my crutches and trying to put my foot down but still with support of my crutches so not to put weight on it. On the 3rd day just below the bandage close to the heel joint where the bone is inner side, there appears a purplish color and swelling on the area, is that normal? But that day also relieve me with pain not as much the 1st and 2nd day. I read that blood vessels get stimulated to compensate with the healing process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.