Bunion osteotomy and mortons neuroma excision

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Im now 24 days post op and doing really well but wanted some advice. At my 2 wk check the nurse said I could start to try and wear shoes. Is this right? I can get a wide fit pump on but can barely walk in it. The area around neuroma scar exceedingly tender and the backs of all my toes still so swollen the cant bend much. So far ive kept the surgical shoe on and do ok swith that.

But how much should i be walking at 3 weeks?

I drive all day for work as a health visitor & am often on my knees weighing , examing babies. ...cant imagine id be able to neithet get down in this position nor get up from this for a while yet??? My sick note takes me to 5 weeks post op but not sure im gonna be fit for work at 5 weeks?

Any adice appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I don't think you should be wearing normal shoes at 2 weeks post op! I'm 6 weeks post op and only yesterday came out of bandages and surgical shoe. My toes are still swollen and area around operation site still numb. I have been signed off work for a further 2 weeks. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi. Thank u. Thats what I thought. All dressings etc came off at 2 weeks but i rebandaged (i'm a nurse) because in my mind those fragile wounds needed further protecting. I'll keep the surgical shoe on...i feel its quite protective. Just wish i"d been given better after care information.
  • Posted

It all depends on what your doc says (ignore a nurse). I am 31 days post op for modified McBrides, osteotomy and hammertoe correction and I will be non weight bearing for 11 more days. Then two weeks heel walking in the surgical shoe. I cannot believe that if your surgery was similar to mine you should be walking, much less using a regular shoe. I am considering going back to work after five weeks, but I will be on a knee scooter, working no more than 15 hours a week and will have a secretary to bring me things. Talk to your MD before you do anything that could jeopardize your foot. You don't want to have another surgery
  • Posted

I did not mean to denigrate nurses. But when it comes to orthopedic surgeries the decisions must rest with the surgeon
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply...any advice is very appreciated. Looking forward to the 7th when i get to see my consultant and then will ask him lots! I presumed I'd see him before i was discharged home otherwise I would have asked all these questions at check in. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.