Bunion problem

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 19 years old and and in my opinion have pretty bad bunions on both my feet and have done for as long as I can remember. It's got to a point where it's uncomfortable even the two bunions slightly brushing each other, I can't sleep at night due to the pain of the bunion pushing down on my bed and being in or out of shoes is also painful. I'm so conscious about my feet and will not take my socks off or wear open shoes. They're so bad even my family have took the mick out of me for as long as I can remember and it definitely has had a knock on affect. Even going in a private friends pool or to the beach I will wear socks in the water. I'm seriously considering getting this surgery done but the only thing stopping me is that I have a soon to be 3 year old and its just me and him at home. I've been to the doctors once already and he said that he's seen more severe cases than mine so he's not going to do anything about it, which in my opinion is very unprofessional considering I'm in quite a lot of pain. I would post a picture if I knew how to to get a better opinion.

Opinions please?

Chloe x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

I too am 19 and can relate to everything you just said! I was in so much pain and so self conscious never wanted to show anyone my feet! It stopped me from playing a lot of sport and lead to me having many operations on my legs due to poor foot mechanics! I would strongly recommend having it done although it's not a quick recovery and having a child would make it so much harder, i had both done together 8 weeks ago and was walking around in non weight bearing boots and after 3 weeks could get around quite well! Age is on your side! I would recommend seeing another surgeon because you sound like you are In a lot of pain. My surgeon said he refused people who came to him for cosmetic reasons as it is a operation and sometimes can cause nothing but more problems! Having been successful I absolutely love my feet, my pain is only occasional although they are still very swollen and will be for some time, so worth it. Best operation I've ever had. The pain in the beginning was horrendous but getting both done together means you don't have to go through it again! I wish you all the best it's not an easy decision to make!

Good luck

Kate

• Posted

Thankyou Kate for the honest opinion. May I ask where your surgeon is based? As I seen my family doctor and he just brushed it under the carpet like it was nothing. This pain just cannot go on but I'm just anxious to go back and to be told I can't have it, I just want to love my feet and walk around bare footed! How quick after the surgery were you able to move around? And was it painful? As my child is very hyperactive, however can be very independent too.

Thanks!

• Posted

Based in Exeter, I went to get a doctors referral because I had them all my life surgeons refused to operate on me until I was 19. If your persistent though about your pain they eventually give in! Once I turned 19 I had no problem as my bones where no longer soft! I was in agony up till day 7 after my surgery but that's because I'm allergic to most pain medicines but looking at them now it seems so worth it! I can wear open toed shoes! I love my scars and my new feet I cried when I first seen them! What a relief it is to be out of bunion pain! I still can't sleep that well as like yourself when my scar presses on the mattress it's painful and awakens me. I had a scarf and akin osteotomy, every bunion is treated differently and its up to the surgeon to decide what he thinks best, I have two screws and a staple in each and he said no matter what I do they can never go back to before! I was non weight bearing in a pair of boots for 6 weeks, after 3/4 weeks I could walk around without crutches with minimal pain. I don't know how bad yours are but because I've had them since I was younger I've had to have Physio sessions to learn to walk properly again as I can now use my big toes so although the process is long it's so worth it and would recommend it to anyone. It would be a good idea if you could get help with your little one! When you have it done you will be so glad of it as for the first 2 weeks you really are bed bound!

Kate x

• Posted

Thankyou so much for this information, it has really helped make my mind up and will be making an appointment tomorrow. I'm in Bristol so shouldn't be to different to you. How long were you waiting for your operation from the time you got referred? That's what I'm most worried about is it coming back and becoming very anxious again. I've never had an operation, nor been in hospital (apart from when having my little one obviously) so very new to this whole experience. I've had them as long as I can remember and will do anything to just get shot of them. I would quite happily exchange pictures just to get a gist of the extend of yours compared to mine but not sure if that is possible on here?

Chloe x

• Posted

Get a second opion but if you do.have the surgery you will. be laid up for at least 6 weeks you are gonna need help.with your little one and cooking and cleaning and depending on whare you work some time off up to 12 weeks
  • Posted

I had double bunion surgery 28 yrs ago and was in for 3 days (how times change). I stayed with my parents for a few weeks so they could help me with my young daughter. Months later the bunions were back! I lived in pain for years and last year developed a bursa on the one so I went back to GP and was referred for more surgery, which I had last October, during the op the surgeon said I had a fractured first Metatarsal and that my bones were very weak, I was 6 weeks in a cast and everything looked good, but bunion has come back again , they said my bones had all 'drifted' and they need to operate yet again but this time through the ankle and it will be a bigger operation, urghh. Anyway, I've just had my other foot done one week ago and yet again problems with my bones (one of my bones had split!), I'll be in a cast for six weeks again and once healed I'll go in for the bigger op on other foot. All in all I've not had a brilliant time with my feet and Im hoping that one day I'll have lovely looking feet and be able to wear pretty sandals instead of converse pumps!! Do go for it though (maybe see another doctor at your surgery), as was said before you are young. I have also been diagnosed with two forms of arthritis so I'm guessing this is causing all my problems.
  • Posted

Ask to be referred to a podiatric surgeon at a hospital near to you.  I was offered this by my doctor and he even went as far as recommending the best one which was not my local hospital but one farther away.  I found him  sympathetic and surgery was offered.  I have had both feet done by Lapidus method (bone fusion) one year apart.  It sounds as though your GP is being very unsympathetic as he cannot measure your discomfort I believe you have the right to a second opinion and the right to ask to be referred. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.