bunion removal big toe fusion and 2nd toe amputation,

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'ave had two foot surgeries since Feb 10/16. Th first amputated my second toe and removed a bunion. The second toe was amputated because it was swollen and deformed by arthritis and caused blistering and sores on both toes.  After the first surgery, the big toe and stump of the second toe still rubbed abd caused sores on  both the stump and the toe.  In a second surgery 10 weeks later, the stump was reduced and the bones of the big toe fused. Two and a half weeks after the second surgery, all seems well except that I am extremely fatigued.  I am 81 years old.  Is my fatigue normal? I go to bed hours earlier than I used to and sleep frequently during the day. I am normally an active, healthy person.  Before my surgery I worked out three times a week with a trainer.  Why am I so tired.(aerobics, weights,  treadmill, exercise bike, swimming.)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Judith I really admire you facing the difficulities the toes produced and then having

the surgeries.  I think you will regain your energy but you are asking a lot of yourself so soon, it does take time for your body to recover and I believe your body is speaking to you by feeling tired---saying that you need the rest.  I did have bunion surgery one year ago and a simpler procedure and I needed rest for quite some time.

Give yourself time, be good to yourself and I am sure you will regain all your strength. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Gayle.  Your response is reassuring.  I was beginning to think something was really the matter with me.
    • Posted

Just to say that I had standard bunion surgery four weeks ago on my right foot and I am still much more tired than usual and find everything quite an effort.  I think I have resigned myself to the fact that it is going to  be some weeks yet before I have my normal energy levels back, but from everything I have read on this site and elsewhere, this is quite normal.  Patience seems to be the key to a good recovery, however frustrating and protracted the whole experience is!  
    • Posted

Thank you Amanda.  I do indeed find it very frustrating.  I'm not naturally an especially patient person and I am incredibly bored.  I've read a ton of  books, watched videos, even knitted again after about 20 years.  The bunionectomy was not nearly as painful as the bone fusion, which makes it difficult for me to walk, as does the bedsore on the back of my heel. And I hate the special post-op shoe I'm apparently stuck with for the next 6-8 weeks.  However, it is nice to have no bunion and a straight big toe. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.