Bunion removal & Hammer Toe Correction Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Its been 13 weeks now and I'm delighted with my progress. I'm back at Bodypump and RPM. If I push my toes too far I get a sharp reminder but that's it, no lasting pain of any kind.  I know my foots still healing because it's still wider and puffy in comparison with my other foot.  My limp has completely gone, walking up hill challenges my toes a bit more however it's improving all the time. I'm at the stage already where I'm not even thinking about my foot on a day to day basis because it's not bothering me at all.  I haven't had any heels on yet but next Friday I'm going to try a pair of wedge sandels, we'll see.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That's great. Not bad for 13 weeks. I don't know what Bodypump and RPM are, by the way. I am at 10 weeks and have done lots of cycling and managed to run OK on a treadmill yesterday with new orthotics and new trainers. I still have a little bit of a limp if I try to walk fast and if I try to run on a hard surface. When do you get a sharp pain? I get a sharp pain in the MTP joint (ball of foot) just when my foot is allowed to relax after I've scrunched the toes up in my foot exercises and when I relax it after trying to point my toes up at the ceiling. I know I have a lot of wear and tear in that joint and reduced flexibility there as a result but I don't know if the sharp pain is the result of this or whether it is just to be expected at this stage of recovery. Good luck with your wedge sandals. I've never worn high heels and want to even less now!
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing your updates ladies, glad your both keepin active and are back on track. I'm being really positive about my up coming surgery and I'm hoping to have a good recovery and be able to go back to some sort of fitness plan feet permitting of course.....,

• Posted

All the best for your surgery and recovery. I'm sure this forum will make it easier when you have your feet up!
  • Posted

Wow that is fantastic.  I still have slight limp at 14 weeks but not much in trainers.  Not even looking at heels.......😜 just be glad to wear more variety at some point but plan to invest in some sandals that are flat and flexible for the next stage of recovery.
  • Posted

Thats great news Veronica. I hope to be the same back at the gym although I am getting both feet done on 8th May. Any hints or tips for recovery?
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, having both feet done at the same time, I'm sure will be more of a challenge than I had.  I think just take it easy for the first six weeks until you get your heal bearing shoes off (if you are having them) and then hopefull all up hill from then on.  You toes will be really stiff which makes it hard to bend them when walking so you will have a limp, however over the next 6 weeks that gets better and better.  Going back to the keep fit classes really challenged my toes and if I pushed them too much I would get a sharp pain but it didn't cause me lasting pain, just a sharp shock.  What I've found is, because I've been pushing them at the classes every week the mobility is improving, so although I still have swelling, which I think will take a few months to completely go, I am not thinking about my toes much at all and I'm only 13 weeks, it's great.  If I hadn't been doing any excercise I think my toes would be stiff still.  What I'm trying to say is don't be scared of the pain, if you look on you tube you will see that people are saying you have to push them to get the mobility back and in my case it definately worked.  Let me know once you have your op and if you need any other info. Good Luck
    • Posted

Thats brilliant thanks Veronica.

What shoes would you recomend following the procedure?

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I bought a pair of Go Walk, for wearing at first, they are really soft and comfortable like slippers but fashionable.  For work I bought a pair of flats but got wide fitting and a size bigger which were fine except they did initially cut across the bunion area but were fine once I broke them in and I have worn them everyday for work since.  Now I can were trianers but haven't had heels on yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.