Bunion Scarf Aiken

Posted , 6 users are following.

After a long time I am having my foot op on Wednesday (should have been last Wednesday but was cancelled at last minute). I am concerned about the pain and I am concerned about recovery time and getting back to work. I have a desk job. I dont get much sick pay and i know after a few weeks it will stop. 

There are so many different foot ops and peoples stories about recovery. I love walking as my hobby. Just hoping everyhting goes well really.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Are you having keyhole surgery? I had chevron minion osteotomy and I had no pain. I had local and sedation. I kept waiting for the pain. Only thing I got was some sore pains in my big toe tie nail. That's all. You hear lots of stories usually only the bad ones. I can honestly say I thought it was a doddle. The only thing I hated was the wedge shoe hobbling on that for 6 weeks and not driving for 6 weeks!! Im overjoyed with the results. My feet are once more beautuful after 30 years of bunions. I have great range of movement in my big toes too. Are you in the uk? Good luck for next week.

• Posted

Hi

The range, type and recovery from this surgery do seem to be as varied as"fishes in the sea".

However key things to remember.

Swelling is the enemy, so ice and raise foot.

Painkillers have a place in recovery.

Prepare for limited mobility before operation.

To be honest I'm one with complicated surgery and most of my pain has been in the rest of my body from walking with crutches etc.

I've seen nifty hammock thing on pinterest you could try for under your desk.

Good luck.

• Posted

Very good luck with your surgery Wednesday !  I am self employed, live alone, have horses to care for.., no sick pay but don`t want to be sidelined the rest of my life, as my feet are becoming more painful...  so having first foot done May 28. My sister will be with me the first week. After reading some people`s stories here, I am afraid, of the pain and going broke ! But hoping for a good healing outcome, for you and I, all of us here.  Brightest thoughts

• Posted

Hi, It's my first time posting on here!

I had a scarf osteotomy 3 weeks ago and am resting at home on crutches.  I didn't have a plaster cast, just a bandage. In the first week I was in a lot of pain and had codeine tablets and Fragmin injections, I felt as though I wanted to chop my foot off, but here we are, three weeks later, and it's definitely improved.  I'm still on crutches for another 3 weeks, but it's so tempting to just hobble around on my heel. I am worried that I might be doing myself a bit of damage by walking too soon, so am trying my best to use them.

The only thing I am worried about is the numbness in my big tow, I can't feel it.  I do still have stitches in it, and my friend said not to worry as it's very early days yet.

Hope this info helps...

• Posted

Thank you all. Im on the list first thing. will let u know how it goes, I am in UK, I am not expecting keyhole. Yes I am worried I will put my foot down awkwardly and  do damage but I shall try and be careful. 
    • Posted

Hope it went well?

How are you?  Really hope you're ok - mine is definitely a lot better and I can honestly say that it was worth the small number of days that I had quite a sore foot!

• Posted

Hi

I’m two weeks post op from scarfe Akin Osteotomy on my right foot. The first two weeks were hell. Mostly due to the side effects of pain medication. Those combined with having to be elevated and housebound caused me to feel very anxious, emotional, hormonal etc and I am not like that at all normally. I knew it was the side effects of the pain meds (which I stopped after 7 days but took another 5/6 days to get out system). Having said that everything is great now- I convinced the consultant to let me change from a wedge shoe to flatter shoe. I’m now doing lots, very mobile but resting and elevating too. I bought a frame for the bed to lift the duvet, a stool for the shower, a limbo bag for my foot for showering and put a kettle and electric cool box in my bedroom for the first few days. I managed a bath after 5 days but I’m very flexible and managed to get into it without using my bad foot at all. I’m probably having the other done in Autumn. I don’t want to face the two weeks I had this time but at least I know that’s all it is........ good luck 

• Posted

Hello all. Well op was wednesday its saturday evening now. I would say it has been really difficult. I had a drop in blood pressure in hospital but that got sorted. Ive got a thick bandage not a cast and a flat shoe. Im supposed to get up every hour and flat walk. Sometimes this makes me feel sick. I dont have upper body strength at the best of times. I have chairs strategically placed. Spent the days on the sofa with my foot raised but sometimes it feels frozen like ice. Im taking the pain killers almost to the max but not quite. First night i slept well but the last two i have needed to get up. I have progressed from a wash bowl by the bed to resting my knee on a chair in the bathroom to use the sink. Im not convinced about the walking on crutches.
  • Posted

Hi

I've had soldiers done so been in a part casts and casts for ever. ( March 2nd).

I'm STILL not happy with crutches. Although I'm down to one now if I can be bothered with it.

I can shower Sat on a stool with my foot an a black bin liner.

If you can,t use a strip of towel like a long flannel for hard to reach areas.

Good luck, stay patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.