Bunion Shoe?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all,

I'm having a bunionectomy and osteotomy on my right and left foot (not at the same time!) and wondered what the timeline is for how long you have to wear the shoe. For now, they've said I can't exercise for 4-6 weeks, but I have a post op appointment 2 weeks after, probably to take the stitches out I would guess. For those that have had the surgery, do they still make you wear the boot after the stitches are  out or is it for the full 4-6 weeks recovery process?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I am nearly at 5 weeks recovery now 

The shoe came off at 2 weeks then you can wear a trainer but you need to be very careful 

Good luck 

• Posted

I had stitches out at two weeks and had to wear the boots for a further four, making six weeks in total. Am now nine weeks post op, in trainers and trying to learn to walk properly again!
  • Posted

I am 2 weeks post, my stitches are still in and non weight bearing for 4 -6 weeks. So I still wear the surgical shoe. With bunion surgery and fusing the metatarsal joint with a metal plate and screws.

So I maybe differ than a bunion surgery.

• Posted

Iam still wearing the shoe and it's been eight weeks.  I am able to drive switching from boot to shoe.  Still in slight pain.  Not having other foot done, found a site that gives ideas on excercises to avoid surgery.  It's to painful the surgery!  I work out three days a week, have not been able too, just started back and it's hard.  Iam starting out slowly, and upper body only.  Good luck 

The answer to your question, in my case still wearing boot after stitches were remove.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.