Bunion surgery 10 months ago.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My big toe is now permenantly raised off the ground and is crossing over the next toe. Any one else had this and what can be done. I am also waiting to have an ankle screw taken out which has been agony . Any comments greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann

OMG what has your surgeon said? I had mine done because my toes were doing that.

Where did you have it done?

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I had it done in Bristol. The surgeon has not even bothered to see me since surgery!. I have been seeing his junior,I am going tomorrow for a steroid injection for the pain. It really has been anightmare. I wish I had never had it done. How are your toes now Kim?

• Posted

Hi Ann

I've had a a lot more than just the bunion done. I've had my instep fused and the toes that were crossing and dislocated have been put back in place.

I'm afraid I'd be going to clinic and not moving until I'd seen the consultant. It might even be time to stand up and make a fuss in the waiting room.

I've waited a long time to have this done. Orthopaedic is notorious for either going well or going badly. A consultant I saw did say " Don't do it until you can't walk" so that's what I did.

You must be devastated. I hope the steroids work. They worked for me but they have some problems too.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Many thanks for writing. I had my bunion done, my toes fused all my toes broken and reset my arch fused pinned and reshaped and a screw in my ankle plus fusion. I was really gutted when things were not right, I kept going back and I see another chap in the team. He isnt an orthopedic surgeon, but is very nice. I feel really upset that the surgeon has made no effort to see me. He was so interested in me before surgery because I have Ehlers Danlos and he was very interested in that condition. That interest soon waned! He hasent even wanted to see the results of what he did which I find very strange. My recovery was very slow and agony. I can't bear the thought of going through it again.I think I will have to start making some sort of protest because it is wrong that it is just left for another chap to sort out. I am very disapointed.I agree with you completely. Ididnt have it done until I literally could not walk. Now I feel what was the point? How are you now Kim? Where did you have surgery?

Kind regards Ann

• Posted

I had surgery at halifax. You obviously have very complex issues.

I'm four weeks into the six weeks hopping. Very fed up with myself. It's snowed most of the day today which always gets me down. God knows why it's not like I was going anywhere!

My foot seems fine if I keep it up. It throbs if I have it down on the floor long.

Yes it is time to make a fuss. Although we both signed that bit of paper telling us of the risks, I'm not sure it covers cutting a tendon and loosing the ends!

Let me know how you get on tomorrow.

• Posted

My big toe on one foot was crooked at the first bandage replacement at 3 weeks. They wrapped it in a special way and at 6 weeks it was where it should be.    
  • Posted

OMG that's terrible..,glad I didn't have your surgeon, I'm sure it can be sorted though !

• Posted

I don't think it can. I had an ultra sound which shows a tendon has been cut through. They wont go back in to repair it as it might cause more problems and they say they could never find the cut tendon... To thnk it will alwaysbe like this is grim.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.