Bunion Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm waiting for my surgery date..and after reading the posts I'm getting worried. The doctor said that they have to put 2 screws in the big toe, pins in the other 3 toes and take out a neuroma....Is that a lot to do at one time? Anyone else had this done? Just wondering what I should expect?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi chris

Do you know the name of yr procedure? I had scarf osteotomy fusion of 2nd toe with pin removable at 5-6 weeks, weils osteotomy of 3rd toe which involves a screw, and lengthening of ligaments in 3rd 4th and 5th toes. A lot of work but best to get it done in one go and I think they do it that way so that they can work on the bio mechanics of the foot properly as in my case just doing the bunion would not have corrected the pain in the ball of my foot.

I am progressing well at 5 weeks post op.

What is yr main concern? What ate yr expectations of the surgery has the procedure been fully explained? If you have questions have another chat with yr surgeon. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Shelia, I'm going to talk to her and ask some more questions. Glad everything for you has gone well.
  • Posted

12weeks ago I had very similar surgery, bunion (scarf osteotomy) neuroma removed and the tendon lengthened in the 2nd toe. All is very good now, nor really had pain just felt very swollen but that's all gone now. In fact I am booked in for my other foot on the 19 th December . It's probably better getting it done all at once then only one recovery. Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks....a lot of people seem to have a lot of problems afterwards..so I was concerned. Gook Luck with your other foot..your brave..smile
  • Posted

Hi. I'm 8 weeks after having both feet done. My bunions were so severe I had plates, bolts, screws and bone grafts in both feet.

The op itself is fine, but the swelling afterwards is nasty. My advice is to have lots of friends and relatives to help you out, to keep your feet massively elevated (about 7 pillows when you are in bed) and just to focus on the long term.

Better a year of discomfort than several years not walking or breaking the other bones in your feet through walking badly which was what happened to me. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.