Bunion surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi I've had right scarf and lateral soft tissue release with the findings marked hallux valgus deformity as it says on my paperwork can anyone explain what's been don't to me as Im not sure if my toes been broken or pinned or in fact what??

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm wanting to back to work and wondering when i can my op was 9 days ago do I need to be off my feet for 6 wks or can I go back I only work 4 hours a day anyone know the answer??
  • Posted

Hi im not really sure what ur surgeon has done if metal work in there they often write internal fixation, you could always try ringing surgeon or ask at your first post op check, you'll find we have all had slightly diff procedures and all surgeons have differed in their post op advice, I was told atleast 6 weeks in post op shoe so no work until I can get shoes on, a lot depends on your line of work too, I wouldn't Rush back too soon as swelling comes and goes and you don't want to undo the work done, I'm week 3 post op have managed to walk indoors without my shoe now although use outside still as can't fit normal shoe/boot on Dont get pain anymore only dull ache end of day and bit sore round stitches other than that I'm pleased with recovery so far although get very bored, I had osteotomy of foot and big toe with pins and screws
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I can walk about indoor quite easily and when I'm out I use the awful wedge shoe thingy they gave me, I don't get any pain either just the dull ache but that's bare able I've got a big bandage and have to wait 2 more weeks before my hospital outpatients visit, I'm hoping they give me a different shoe then I'll go to work with that it doesn't matter what shoes I wear I just want to get back I'm sick of day time to lol
    • Posted

I had MIS surgery and pins out in. Also hammertoe correction on one foot. I was told that the lovely sandals must be worn always when walking. Absolutely no weight bearing at all. This would be for 6 weeks. After 3 weeks, I was told by the consultant that I was healing well and could try walking in the house wearing a soft trainer at 5 weeks if I felt confident. I didn't . It does seem to be very early for walking without the shoes. Please check with the hospital. It may be that this is right for what you have had done but you really need to be sure. 
  • Posted

I was told not to walk anywhere even to the loo without the heel walking boots on. I'm 8 weeks post op and not back to work for another couple of weeks. The only shoes I can comfortably wear are oversized trainers. I think you should phone the hospital for info because if you are weight bearing but shouldn't be you could undo the operation.
  • Posted

I agree with Bev about the weight bearing if your still in big bandage it's probably too soon I was heel walking only until my first post op apt 10 days after op where bandage was reduced and only told to walk more after some stitches were removed at two weeks post op, you don't want to cause any damage as it can end up taking lot longer to recover obviously you will know if your able to go work or not I work on hospital ward doing 12 hour shifts so can't until swelling down, good luck with ur recovery though.
  • Posted

Thanks for replays guys I'm going to speak to the hospital tomorrow and ask lots of questions 
  • Posted

Hi Tracy

It seems to me that you had scarf surgery of the bunion. Scarf is a method of bunion surgery where the bone is cut in two places and realigned and fixed with pins. The soft tissue you had I presume it is to release a tendon which has tightened, to fix a hammer toe .

That is what I had done to both feet.

Hope you are recovering well. I am two weeks post op and not in too much pain anymore.

• Posted

That sounds exactly what I think Tracy had done, good answer Star. 
  • Posted

Hi Tracy. I agree to every one about the time scale of atleast 8 weeks before any chance of going back to work. Even then it will depend on whether you have a "phased return to work" available to you. I am due my 6 week follow up next week when I hope to learn when I can progress from my post op 'wedge shoes' and to know what footwear I can wear.
    • Posted

Good luck with your appointment .

Don't be too disappointed if you are very limited in what shoes you can wear next week. My feet were still fairly swollen. I was limited to walking sandals and shoes for a long time. Bought a New pAir of shoes at 12 weeks post op.. These were one full size bigger and an EEE fitting.!

One other thing to be aware of.. Due to toes being straighterJ, I now need a size bigger! Very few of my shoes fit. ust now that I am starting to go shoe shopping and having more success. I am 5 months post op. Still find that one foot still swells if have walked a lot.

• Posted

Thank you karen for your reply and encouragement. I am new to this chatroom and was not sure if I was doing things right. I will keep up-to-date by following every one. It is good to share.
  • Posted

Everyone is right Tracy, you really should not be walking on it yet, it's still very early and you could do some damage.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.