Bunion surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm four weeks post op from bunion surgery. I had two screws put in my foot. Is it normal not to be able to feel my big toe? I have some swelling but its not excessive. My dr has me in a boot and bearing weight on that foot.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's normal, don't worry, you should start feeling it more in 2 weeks,

• Posted

Yes, normal, feelings start to return when you're more active. Some major nerves are interfered with during bunion surgery and at 4 months post op I still have numb patches and electric shock feelings in my toes. Full recovery can take a year.

• Posted

I'm almost 8 and can't feel the top of my toe yet don't forget your body has been thru alot and thry cut thru nerves muscles tendons and ligaments give yourself plenty of this this is a very long recovery. I still can't drive I'm in the boot and still walk with a cane but I've been elevating it most of the time minimal walking I'm just starting to move around better without aggravating it. It's going to swell no matter what because you're on your feet the minimum the swelling the better and quicker it heals. Rest rest rest it's all normal

• Posted

Rest is hard when your a single parent. At times I get tingling and burning sensations. The bones ache especially if its raining outside
    • Posted

Yes I get that too as soon as it burned I got off of it. It really is the toughest recovery ever hang in there wendy
  • Posted

I'm 6 weeks post op for 1st metatarsal fusion with screws. Not sure if this is he sane as yours but my big toe is still numb and also the ball of my foot. I have a Dacro shoe and am non weight bearing until I see the consultant on Wednesday. I think it's all pretty normal. Do you follow I survived a bunionectomy on Facebook. It's a good site, loads of experiences and information. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks jan! I just found the group on facebook I'm waiting to be accepted then I'm going to post a before and after pic and hopefully learn from others

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.