Bunion surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a very active person and I am going to have foot surgery. I am trying to decide if I should have a Lapidus bunionectomy or Arthrodesis of the big toe joint? I also will be having an osteotomy for a large tear in my plantar plate. Any suggestions and or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I don't really understand all these different surgeries! But I had (bunionectomy 1st matatarsal basal osteotomy lateral soft tissue release and akin osteotomy) & I am 7days post-op & ive Been pain free since day 2 of having it done! I didn't quite get what I had done until after, but all I no is ive had 2 screws placed inside my foot and my severe bunion shaved of & my big toe straightened! & I can't wait to see the results when I have my bandages removed on Thursday! The only discomfort I am having is the bandages!! But all I suggest is that you have whatever you need doing to your foot get it done asap!! Am very active I go to gym 4days a week work 32hrs per week & I have a 5yr old boy, luckily I've had a lot of help from my partner 😊 but I can't wait for things to return to normal! But I'd rather have it done now at my healthiest 😊

We have to ride these things out to get the good results! I hope you decide well & recover fast! 😊

• Posted

Hi 

Hoping you can help me, I am in the process of a ongoing battle with my doc as they are sayin that NHS will not cover surgery,is this correct ?

Thanks

Sharon

• Posted

Who have you seen so far? 

They fuse the joint with an arthrodesis, so I think you would maintain more functionality with a lapidus. But only a podiatric or orthopaedic surgeon would be qualified to help you chose, and I would certainly suggest getting more than one opinion. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.