Bunion Surgery 6 weeks away

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have my bunion surgery in just over 6 weeks time (not too severe).

Just got three questions if anyone can help:

1) The surgeon said I may get to choose Local or General.  He said he normally does Local but at the hospital I am having it done at, they tend to like people to have a general.  If I do get to choose, what are the pros and cons?  I am thinking I want a Local.

2) Is there any point continuing running between now and then?  Will I just lose the fitness gains during the recover?

3) I am hoping to be playing tennis again in 8 -10 weeks.  Is that realistic?

Thanks in advance :-)

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi DGDAvid,

To answer your questions.....

1) I chose to have a general as I am a big baby and I didn't want to hear any snipping or sawing noises.

2) I haven't a clue.

3) No, that isn't realistic but maybe you'll different ;-). At 8-10 weeks I was still walking gingerly.

• Posted

Hi David,

1. general, after watching you tube videos on bunion surgeries, NO WAY IN HELL I'D STAY AWAKE. 

2. Continue your  daily workouts! 

3. 8-10 weeks might be pushing it. My doctor will not realese me to run, hike or fitness walk for 6 months. He told me that it could take up to a year to be back to normal. I am 10 weeks post op and I'm doing great  I'm out of the boot and in a good tennis shoe. Everything feels fine except THE SWELLING. holy moly my foot is so swollen at the end of the day. I can now see why he wants me to hold off on my old exercise routine. He recommended using a stationary bike.

Listen to your body and follow your doctors orders. 

• Posted

Hi Yvette, with the swelling (which I have at present) did the doctor tell you it would go down? My thigh is now paining/burning, like a vein is blocked, I may have to see my Local Doctor about it as I don't go back for my 6 week check up until the 17th Sept. I have a Zen Chi machine, here at home and I was wondering if I could use that after the 6 weeks were up, I'll take the book of the machine in to show the doctor at the hospital when I go on the 17th as it's a magical way to get oxygen through the body!....15mins is equal to an hour and a half of walking! A great weight reducer as well!.....

David, if you read this, don't try to push yourself, and if they give you a General (which I had) I ended up with about 6-8 bed pans!! water was flowing from my body!.....no sore throat but they did say after the operation in the ward that I may have a sore throat but I didn't. I can't believe there is NO PAIN after this operation and I had two screws in as well. Stitches are healing nicely and I'm happy with the way the foot looks and once the swelling goes down I'll feel happier! Good Luck with your op!

• Posted

Carol, my doctor said the swelling would happen for about three months. The burning and pain in your thigh could be caused by the boot, if you are wearing one or your muscles are just really sore from not using them a whole lot. DVT( deep vein thrombosis) typically happens in your calves, consult with your doctor to rule out the possibility of DVT. 

also wear compression socks, they help with circulatin. 

Take care

• Posted

Carol - my doctor told me to go straight to the E R if there was severe localized pain in the chest or thigh because that could be an indicator of an embolism. 
    • Posted

Carol, 

How are things going for you? Has the pain in your thigh subsided?

hope all is well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.