Bunion surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi! I am 5 weeks post bunion surgery, 2 screws and one pin. Tailors bunion off my pinky toe. Who else had had this? I was so embarrassed and my foot is swollen but I know it’s early. Just looking to talk

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post foot surgery.  Metatarsal for toe 2 and 3 have been shortened with pins in both and a correction for a bunion surgery done 30 years ago to the big toe with one of the old screws replaced.  I just got into a shoe.  My toes are not bending and there is definitely swelling.  

• Posted

Wow!! I am surprised you are in a shoe at 4 weeks!! I have never had this surgery before but my podiatrist has me in a post op boot for 3 more weeks. Then back in a tennis shoe. I have my second foot scheduled for August and I am not thrilled.  You had to have more surgery that stinks. I have been back at work fOr 3 weeks now but I use a knee scooter only to make me faster in the hallsmile my co workers love itsmile
    • Posted

Let me tell you.... my shoe consist of a Croc clog that is fur lined and a Birkenstock sandal.  Both are big shoes that are not tight fitting and slide on.  I haven't tried a tennis shoe yet.  I do find that a sock on my foot feels better because there is less rubbing on the incision site.  And this surgery is different from all the rest.  My prior surgeries were all non weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks.  The bone cutting was done further down on the metatarsal bones further away from the toes.  For this surgery the bone cutting was all done right up closest to where the joint meets the toe.  According to my doctor this allows light weight bearing on the heel.  I have been trying to bend my toes a bit, but it's not really happening.  So my walk is more of a weight on the heel with no bend in the foot.  I'm only walking around the house and take a knee scooter when going outside of the house.  And yes the knee scooter allows me to get some speed with at least my hair is moving in the wind.  I feel like an inch worm otherwise.    The doctor did look at my other foot and said he could do some additional correction to the big toe on the other foot but right now I'm not really having much issue with the other foot.  I have a low pain tolerance, so this was a huge deal.  

• Posted

It’s crazy to see how other podiatrists do things. My boot is terribly ugly and gives my a huge limp but it forces me to walk with my heel. I also have a knee scooter that I bought myself since I am having second surgery soon! I can walk but like you I am a snail and I am a dental assistant and got to get moving!! Working 8 hours 4 days a week!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.