Bunion Surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had surgery done on August 16 and I just got my last stitch out today at the doctors and I have a boot on now, I’m just wondering if I’m allowed to take it off when I’m resting on the couch and in bed and should I my boot on when I’m up walking around 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

As long as you don’t walk on it. 
    • Posted

Thanks just wasn’t sure but I’m still not sure if I have to have it on when I’m up and about in my house 
    • Posted

I went through alignment surgery last April, it was just a terrible experience for me. They bandaged my leg up to my knee and told me to be non weight bearing for two months. My knee that carried all the weight is shot know. Thankfully I took matters into my own hand and started walking one the foot at six weeks. It was all so stupid on so many levels. I wish you well with your own experience. I hope your doctor is better than the guy I had, who seemed to get off on a power play with me. I hope one day he gets to personally experience what he put me through. It had a psychological effect on me as well.
    • Posted

So knee shot on one leg and foot you had surgery on will also be shot because you didn't allow it to heal properly!

While non weight bearing my surgeon said minimum time on your feet. It was hard sitting for hours on end but foot has healed beautifully, two of the sites are almost invisible and the structure of my foot gets better as each day goes by.

However I know full healing is long term a year to 18 months,. Then I have the other foot done.

You know what they say" you pay your money and make your choice"Except in Britain we don't pay.

• Posted

Thanks for all your comments, I don’t have to wear my boot when I’m sleeping but I was just  curious  If I had to wear it if I’m up and about in my house, makes sense to wear it when I’m up and about but I just thought I didn’t have to cause when I left the doctors office yesterday I didn’t have it on cause I didn’t know I was going into a boot thought they were going to put me into another cast, maybe places and doctors in the world are different but I’ll be calling his office today just to make it clear to myself and my family when I’m suppose to wear my beautiful boot lol 
  • Posted

I would say take boot of, I had my surgery the 5 of Sept., I'm in cast due to fusion. I'm in extreme pain swelling, but can get it wet so no cast. I did start cutting the cast to relieve swelling. Im non weight bearing. How is your pain level? Swelling?

• Posted

If you don't wear your boot for moving about what is the point of having one?

I had instep fusion, bunion and toes 're aligned.

6weeks cast, non weight bearing, 6 weeks cast weight bearing,

Four weeks Robocop boot. Boot to be worn anytime I was on my feet gradually " weaning" myself off. Till at the end of four weeks I could manage without.

Such a relief to be able to shower and sleep, but supportive when I walked to the pub.

Increased time and movement out of the boot gradually.

• Posted

I had Lapidus surgery on 24th August, stitches were removed yesterday and I have been given an aircast boot to slowly start bearing weight.  As advised by my doctor I only wear the boot when walking and take it off when resting.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

I think I had the same surgery as you but I have two  Metal pins sticking out of my two toes, they are still in my toes but they will be coming out I think in another 5 weeks, it was painful at first when I got it done but it don’t seem to be to bad right now however I have put weight on the foot I got done twice  by mistake and that don’t feel to well lol but like I said I will be calling his office today and asking when I have to wear the boot cause he told me to take it off when I’m sleeping 
  • Posted

Hi all, have you checked on ~ `I survived a bunionectomy` on facebook ? Great group, LOTS OF ADVICE, AND HELP !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.