Bunion Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 4 days out from my surgery and its still painful...but I feel more tingling and quick sharp pain...I have it elevated about my heart...But the pain feels like its all over My foot....I have a small bunion on the right foot and after going through this..I can honestly say that I don't think I will have this done again!!!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Novella

This is very early days. I was told to go no further than the kettle and the toilet for the first two weeks.

Swelling is the enemy and that's what causes the pain. ice, elevation and rest are key.

You have to get the mind set, if you don't you are going to regret it.

I've had both feet done. mine were not small. The deformity caused the next two toes to dislocate. if I hadn't had the surgery I wouldn't be walking now.

After seeing how well I healed, and discussing my attitude my consultant joked that he should use a video of me in the waiting room.

This surgery improves the rest of your life, give it time.

• Posted

Thank you for your information...Yes its still early and I don't have a high pain tolerance but I will get through it on day at a time...My pain meds and rest and elevation are my best friends at this time...Again thank you for your feed back!

• Posted

I know how you feel regarding the pain so please take the pain killers you will have been given plus the Movelat for constipation. Unfortunately it is a painful recovery and the surgeons don't tell you this. I have had both bunions done now and the second time has been a quicker recovery because I knew what foot exercises to do from the first physiotherapy sessions. The swelling causes pain so you could try putting your foot in very cold water and elevating like you are doing. The sharp pains are nerves rejoining I believe. I know the pain is wearing on your psychi but just when you've had enough, it becomes a lot better. My left bunion returned as it was under-corrected and I have arthritis in my feet which won't have helped but that's another story. My right foot was over-corrected and looks great at the mo and this was done three months ago. I was expecting, at some stage, to go back and get another operation to correct the left foot but from a conversation with my surgeon the other day, I am not sure if he will actually do this. If he doesn't my feet will look odd as the left foot looks like a bigger bunion than I had before. I hope you feel a lot better soon.

• Posted

Good morning...Thank you for your feed back...Yes I'm going through it but each day has gottenn better...Today which is my four day out and its really not to painful as its more of the nerves...I go too the bathroom and back too bed and that's rough because the blood flow started coming down as the gravity is pulling...That's when it hurts the most each time...Last night I actually got some decent sleep...That help out a lot....Thank you again...

• Posted

In all honesty it all sounds normal as I had the same.... it was the nerves having a moan...lots of twangs and twinges.

For the first two weeks I was on essential walking only so bathroom and back to elevating.

it does get better...keep up on the medication and rest as much as possible.

• Posted

Than you for responding...I'm glad its normal because my nerves are giving me a fit right now....Staying on top of my meds and taking each day at a time...Again thank you!

• Posted

I'm almost 7 weeks PO. I had both feet done at the same time with minimally invasive technique. I had real pain for 1 day only. But I still have the tingling, burning sensation , sharp stabbing pain. They say it could last for many months. But the real pain will get better soon. Hang in then and be on top of your painkillers!

• Posted

Thank you...I can not wait too be seven weeks out...It seems so far away....I don't think I could had both feet done at the same time....Your very brave.Thank you I'm hanging in there and my meds and elevation and rest is on my side....Hope all goes well with your healing process...

• Posted

Your lucky to have found a doctor to do both feet at the same time! My doctor won't do it and I called around and can't find a doctor who will do both! 😦

• Posted

Whee do you live What kind of procedure did you have? I hear that not all doctors do both at the same time. I guess I was lucky.

And yes, 7 weeks feels like forever. But time will pass. Try to read, watch the tv. It's a long and hard recovery but know that you're not alone!

• Posted

I' m going to have my Bunions taken care of, they are really getting bad. I live in Western New York, near Buffalo ..Doctors around here won't do both at same time..I really don't want to have to go through it twice and miss work again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.