Bunion surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I am new to this site and notice that no-one has posted anything for the last 3 years or so. Therefore I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has just gone through a bunion operation.

I am 3 weeks post op and was wondering if anyone has any advise for me concerning when you should be able to go out walking etc. I have been walking around the house, doing little chores and ironing etc. but have not been told when I can go walking outside.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Margaret I'm 4 weeks post op, and have been walking a fair bit maybe a bit to much at times! I went to Wales for the day a week ago and I was fine a bit slower than normal and had a few breaks but it was still manageable though, I listen to my body and only do what I think can do, hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Margaret

I have posted to this site regularly since March. There have been numerous discussions about your situation.

maybe you need to how back and look again.

if you can't find it all come back and I'll try to help

• Posted

Thanks Kim. The last msg I can see is over 3 yrs ago. the web page dud say it was licjed as nothing had been posted for some time.

• Posted

Hi Margaret

I am nearly 5 months post surgery. I rested my feet as much as possible during the first 2 weeks (only bathroom visits and moves from bed to sofa). After that I still tried to do very little, but did potter about the house. I was of the opinion that I wanted to give my feet the chance of the very best outcome. It did seem to pay off, so I would be very wary of doing too much.

• Posted

I did everything I was told to do, resting as long as I was told, exercises etc, but still my op was not successful. In fact my bunion is worse now than before the op and has even pushed my little toe out further so that I am in lots of pain when I walk because of this, although my bunion is not painful - just a worse shape than it was, which has pushed my toes further out. At my final appointment they said I could either have a bunion op on my little toe, or have it amputated and left me to think about it for 6 months. As it was a podiatrist who did the op, I went to see an orthopaedic surgeon, who has prescribed special shoes to be made and if these failed to do another op for me. 3 pairs of shoes have not worked so I have cancelled the 4th and have decided to have another op. As I said I followed aftercare to the letter but still the op has failed. The orthopaedic surgeon I am seeing did a bunion op on my daughter last year and this has been a great success.

• Posted

Hi vallan, Did your doctor give you any indication why your bunion surgery was not successful?I'm thinking about having the bunion surgery,( for my feet are in ruff shape!!) I also have rheumatoid arthritis. My doctor was maybe concerned if I might have soft bones...Does anyone here have soft bones due to aging? I'm 59.... And was your surgery a success?

• Posted

Hi Cheryl. I only saw the doctor's staff afterwards and all they said was that I could have my little toe amputated or have a bunion op on my little toe!! I didn't fancy either, hence I am going to an orthopaedic surgeon this time

• Posted

Hi Vallan

Sorry to hear that your bunion op was not successful. I had an orthopaedic surgeon performing my op who has a very good reputation and I am sure that it will be successful. I am doing everything that I have been told to do and sincerely hope for a good outcome - fingers crossed.

I do hope your next surgery is successful and I wish you all the best for the future.

• Posted

I've spent two years having bunion surgery on both feet,dislocated toes 're aligned and instep fusion on joints. everything was successful I was nearly pain free.

Then I got Breast Cancer and was put on laterozole. I now walk like a very old lady as the side effect of the drug is joint pain

Life's a b***h, then you die.

• Posted

Oh Kim Life is a b***h right enough!! Sorry to hear about your cancer and hope that you are getting stronger every day.

• Posted

i had minimally invasive bunion surgery 3 years ago and regret having had it. i now have arthritis in the joint restricting movement and more pain than i ever had before. i had complications after the surgery - footdrop for the first week and severe swelling after the pin came out and the brace came off. the swelling made it difficult to do the mobility exercises and didnt ease until i visited an osteopath who found a bone in my mid foot that was out of place. i find mid height shoes to be the worst - they cause pain to radiate up into the lower leg as my foot will often swell. it takes days to recover if my feet get stiff and sore and i anticipate at some point having a physical disability resulting from the surgery. as the toe joint becomes progressively stiffer i will likely develop a limp. it is also limiting my ability to extend the hip on that side and may cause further hip problems. i am only 50 and foresee a host of problems stemming from this surgery as i age. i had a scarf procedure on the other foot many years ago that hasn't caused anything like the problems this surgery has.

• Posted

Hi Paula sorry to hear about your problems. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that all be be fine when i go for my 6 week appointment. keeping optimistic on outcome.

Maggie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.