Bunion Surgery Fear!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

After several years suffering with bunions on both feet, and getting steadily worse, to the point where I now can't bear the pain whenever I put my court shoes on for work, I have now come to the realisation that if I don't do something now I will be in this pain for many years.  I am 41yrs old, I went to my doctor who tells me to go to a podiatrist, I went to a podiatrist who kindly took my payment, massaged my feet & told me to book in for another massage!  I have read lots about surgery, but cannot afford to go private - can anyone suggest an alternative route - please!!!! 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Clare and everyone! I've just come back from the hospital, and you won't believe this, I've waited 2yrs to see this surgeon and he's leaving in August!! he has over 100 operations to do before he goes! So now I'm told they have to get another surgeon and I could be waiting 6 weeks to 12 months before I get the foot operated on. They said because mine are advanced bunions it was wise to only get ONE foot done. I'm so disapointed. 
    • Posted

Hi Carol,

I was very sorry to hear your news.  How disappointing for you.  If it is any consolation to you I had both feet done at the same time.  One appears to have been done very well but the other not.  I have yet to establish the reason for this, I am going to get a second opinion, but perhaps it is better to take one at a time - afterall. 

Also, and I know you are an older lady as you have mentioned your age several times in your posts, if you are fit and active and will be able to stay in hospital for the fist two weeks I think you will probably be fine.  But it is quite demanding having two feet done together.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.