Bunion Surgery - footwear/general recovary advice?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm about 7 weeks in recovery from Bilateral Scarf Akin Osteotomy (bunion surgery on both feet) and am concerned about still not being able to walk properly or go back to work (as I work in a shop and on my feet all day) currently the only thing that fits me are my slippers but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to the best kind of shoes to wear (now I'm out of the very attractive medical boot/shoes!) 

Would also be good to know how long it took people to be able to exercise again - I'm missing my yoga but can't imagine being able to do it any time soon?

I've also not been given any physio exercises which seems a little strange?

Would appreciate any advice! thanks xxx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Brave to do both feet at once! I had a lapidus akin done on August 25 last year. Non weight bearing 30 days then walking boot for 3 more weeks. My advice to you is get some physical therapy because what they don’t tell you is that all the muscles, tendons and ligaments that work together to move your feet get weak in recovery. I overdid it and got tendinitis in the bottom of my foot. As far as shoes go - I got some Keens which worked great for me. You may have to just experiment to see what feels good and allows you to stand and move comfortably. Patience is key because full recovery takes a long time! 
    • Posted

I thought it'd be good to get them both out of the way to avoid going under the knife twice - but it hasn't been easy I must admit! I will check those shoes out thank you smile 

• Posted

I, too, had this procedure October 2016, and I was still wearing the post operative shoes at 8 weeks, so you’re doing really well to be out of them already.  I naively thought that I’d be back in normal shoes after my 6week check up, but my feet were still quite swollen, so even my trainers didn’t fit! After about 8 weeks, my feet could fit into my trainers and a wider pair of converse-type shoes, so then I was able to drive again. I went back to work but reduced hours because I am on my feet all day . The first day back was so uncomfortable (I thought I could do my regular hours) and my feet knew it , so that’s why I didn’t go back properly ( full hours) until after Christmas. If your employer is understanding, you should be OK ( perhaps they could give you a sitting job...). 

I think that if you have a comfy pair of trainers ( it’s not very glamorous initially) then use them. I struggled because I am not a trainers girl (except for in the gym) but while your feet are recovering and still swollen (they will take up to a year to return to normal) then comfort is imperative. It will be worth it in the long run.

I never had any physio, either. Maybe you aren’t that old....... I was 51 when I had mine done. 

Look forward to next summer when you can wear sandals and flip flops without big lumps poking out of the side 🙂.

Take care. Patience is the key.

• Posted

I am 56 and I own a business which is an office job so I’m good on that end . My foot was swollen for a long time. Literally only in the past couple weeks has most of the puffiness gone down . Most slip on shoes are not good for me yet- lacers are my friend and I did get a pair of short Uggs that we’re heavenly. I’ve had people tell me up to a year before 100% normal again- even my PT people told me that. They seriously were my saving grace! Hang in there- we have straight feet now!! 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for the advice - it has made me feet better, especially as often with googling medical things can lead to reading only horror stories! I am 27 so hopefully the lack of physio means they think it will heal naturally. I'm not a trainers girl either but don't think my feet are quite ready for the doc Martens yet! Looking forward to the summer definitely!

• Posted

Hi,  I am also 8 weeks post op on both feet.  I was advised to walk everyday by my Dr as this helps loosen the muslcles in the toe, the first few days walking was hard but each day gots easier, I started from 6 weeks without a boot. I now can do a 7km walk with out any problems.

I bought Berkinstock shoes a few sizes bigger, a pair of black Nike trainers a few sizes bigger and a nice pair of slip on shoes. 

My Dr said until you reach 12 weeks only can walk swim or ride a bike.  After 12 weeks can do any type of exercise.  I am also young sonny bone recovery is easier conspired to older patients my Dr said. I also have no physio needed my Dr said, the walking every day will do the work to help stretch the muscles in the toe.  

Hope this helps you. 

• Posted

Hi there, thank you so much for replying, this is really good to know (and nice to talk to someone in the same situ!) I started from 6 weeks without the boot too. I'm only 27 so hopefully bone recovery will be quicker as your dr said - impressed by your 7km! I don't think I'm quite there yet but I think nike trainers are a good idea - what kind did you get?

xx

• Posted

Hi, you should be fine soon enough.  I started walking only for 15mins 3 x a day focusing on heel toe walk with every step.  Each day it got easier where now I can walk with out any pain.  After two weeks try walking on a beach, as the foot movement on the sand uses different muscles, which I found helped stretch other muscles I wasn't using when walking on a foot path.

I got the Nike Zoom runners, they are wide at the front so feel comfy and magaged to get away with wearing them with skirts and dresses.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.