Bunion surgery for children

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 14 and had bunions for nearly 3 years now. I have them on both sides of my feet and I also have flat feet. I have exhausted non-operative treatments and they haven't worked,so I was wondering if I should have my bunions operated on and if I do shall I have 1 foot or both done at same time

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had both my feet done 12 days ago and I am glad I got them both done together as you only got 1 recovery to do. But I do fine I am walking on the sides of my feet so I dont know how difficult it would be for you as you have then on both sides of your feet. However when I have wear the super styling shoes they give you I am walking on my heels, maybe have a chat with your GP or surgeon about what they think is best for you as we are all different. Good Luck with whatever you decide smile

• Posted

Aloha,

I do not recommend you have bunion surgery at your age because your feet are still growing. I suggest you ask your doctor because they can tell by an xray if they are.

When I had my surgery I don't think the doctors knew what they we're doing. I have 4 different places that the cut open my feet. I had over 50 stitches in each foot. I wore casts on both legs for 3 months. On each foot they removed the tendons in my little toe. Who knows why, I can't bend them. I had to learn how to walk all over again. Remember this was in the 1960. My feet are a mess.  

• Posted

I also would have them done at they same time. Like Joanne below said then you only have 1 recovery. These days they shave the bone and I believe you just have one incision, not like what happened to me.
  • Posted

There are a lot of factors to consider. I had bad bunions since age 5, but aside from looks they didn't bother me until my twenties. I'm in my early fifties and they're finally painful enough that I'm having the surgery. I think you might want to hold off, but not like me until the fifties. If I could have done it differently I'd have had the surgery in my late twenties or early thirties.
  • Posted

If I had a choice at age 10 I would never done them until they bother and hurt too bad!
  • Posted

Hello my name is Habiba, I've just turned 17 recently and I have had bunions - well since I discovered them - since I was 14. My bunions are quite similar to yours, I'm flat footed, have stiff joints in the big toe and they are on both feet. I have been refered to my doctor at the hospital since I found out that I had two bones sticking out. I'm my doctor's youngest patient and he's a little wary and cautious each time I bring up the topic 'I want an operation' he discourages me because of my age and the fact that the bunions may grow back again. I'm still growing but he says if I want the Operation he'll do it. He suggested psysio therapy which I am yet to under go because my bunions are REALLY painful. I have already been limited to certain types of footwear, when I am doing none active activities like watching a movie or sleeping or just SITTING they ache and I have a muscle pulling sensation. They turn purple, blue, red or white at times. I put an ice pack fashioned from frozen peas wrapped in a dish cloth (I was told it is the best kind of ice pack) and I let it numb the pain. It helps only for a while. I have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow and hopefully I'll explain the symptoms again and decide. My dad and my sister (who is a nurse at Leeds) encourage me to have the operation while my mum remains wary. So I'm just deciding. 

My advice to you is that like my doctor said, "take the pain as long as you can bear." Once it reaches the limit when you say you've had enough have the operation. I mean my doctor continually put me for injections as a form of non- operation pain relief. I've had them four times. They help but not for long. 

Also if you want to wait like I am, see psyio therapists who will help with the walking and overcoming the pain. Think about the dates of the operation. Will you miss lots of school work? Having the operation in the holidays is very practical (or so I'm told) have a firm opinion on what you want. Remember its YOUR pain. No-one elses. We all have different pain levels and sometimes you should just do what you think is best for you. So I'm going to have mine. (Hopefully) 

• Posted

Hi Habibia

I had my bunions since I can remember. I an now 48 and just had both my feet done and I an soooooo glad and wonder why I never got them do e earlier ..! Maybe I am one of the lucky ones but I not had much pain just annoyed as I have to rely on others I would say go for it Get it out the way while your young and strong 😁 let us know what you decide x

• Posted

I got the same advice almost 40 years ago.  So I suffered with painful feet that didn't actively prevent me from doing things, but made it harder.  I gave up any idea of a dance career, and didn't do any sports in high school or college.  I never did running.  Too hard on the feet.  Instead of going into health care delivery, I went into insurance - since an office job wouldn't require I be on my feet all day.  

I postponed the surgery until my toes are so deformed that the other joints are compromised.  Not an ideal outcome to "wait and see".  I'd definitely want to postpone until your bones are done growing, but after that?  Naw.  Go for it. 

The thing is, if you have to wear orthopaedic (sp?) shoes anyhow, you might as well have feet that don't limit your choices. Ask the surgeon If you get the surgery and wear shoes with proper toe room and arch support or that allow space for an insert why the bunions would return and whether he can fuse or pin the more flexible (abnormally flexible, that's why we get the turnout) joint higher up. 

• Posted

Hi, I went to see the doctor who is also the surgeon at the hospital today and I explained to him the problems and he said that doing psyio therapy won't help me with the pain that I am having. So I said I'd like to have an operation please. He agreed and said to me, "You're the youngest patient I will have ever operated on." But lots of people have said he is THE BEST surgeon and he will make sure everything goes well. So I took your advice and have made my descion. He said make a list of questions that I would like to ask him before the surgery. I have a few. Could anyone tell me what woud be REALLY important to ask him? 

Thanks a lot!!! 

• Posted

Ask him what you need to do to prevent them from recurring. 
    • Posted

Your doctor with the help of an xray can tell if your feet are still growing.

My parents made a big mistake when I had my done I was only ten.

• Posted

Hi, so I'm on the operation list, its is scheduled for Monday 27th October 2014. But the only problem is I've just joined the NCS, (national citizenship service) which starts on the same date as my operation. I'm going to put it on hold because the NCS is based on activities like archery and absailing and running so I'm going ahead with that rather than have the operation because I don't know what state my feet will be after the operation. But I will delay it. Thanks again for the advice! I'll let you know what happens. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.