Bunion Surgery on both feet. Any advice on weight gain and changes in diet?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I will undergo surgery on both feet next month. I'm a female (38) in pretty good shape and like to work out 3-4 times per week. I usually eat pretty healthy as well.

I'm just wondering how other patients have experienced their post-surgery period without or with minimal exercise and if you had to change your diet to avoid weight gain? My plan is to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, fish, lean meats, avoid too much carbs and sugars, etc. Just a balanced healthy diet in my opinion. 

Thanks 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Your plans are perfect. May take vitamin C and D two weeks before and 2 weeks after. I was doing upper body exersices on the second week. 

Eats beets and dry plums if you will have problems with your bowl movement. From one side you need a lot of water, but if it wii be hard for you to move...So you'll see.

so, good luck, Owl!

• Posted

Thanks Irina, I'm trying to exercise as much as possible these week prior to surgery. I hope I will not get too frustrated by not being able to workout sad
  • Posted

Hello Owl,

I too am athletic and loved to work out 3xs a week, I also did Tae Leon Do 3xs a week, so I too was concerned about being bed ridden for weeks. So did alot of butt excersises!! Worked out my legs and butt as much as I could. Lol.

Post op I juiced every morning and sometimes mid day. Surprisingly I've actually lost weight. My legs and stomach are skinnier than before. I just can't wait till I'm on my feet again so I can start running. I had my left foot worked on so that leg muscle is non existent.

Vitamin b is critical for nerve repair as well. It helped me a lot with the pain I was having.

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Jen

• Posted

Butt exercises smile That's such a great idea. I just lookedup some good bed exercises on youtube. And I love juices. I was planning to drink lots of fruit/veg smoothies as well. I take B-complex. Thanks for the great advice Jennifer. You sound like a very healthy person.
  • Posted

Hi Owl

i'm 60, was quite fit prior to bilateral op, take vitiams b & d regularly and also drink plenty of white tea. I cut back on food intake due to being so inactive and actually lost serveral pounds in the 4 weeks after. 

Suggest, a couple of tablespoons of linseed daily for fibre, also check up on post op lower limb exercises. You need to keep exercising thighs and calves otherwise muscle wastage sets in pretty quickly. I have serious problems with squatting down due to flabby quads. If you can get to see a physiotherapist prior to op, get an assessment done then and after your stitches come out. I didn't even think of that, but would consider it money well spent, as your recovery will be better managed.

Get some iron supplements in, I lost 3 pints during the op, enough said.

BUT, every person is different, and well as the procedures done along with your surgeon. Both my feet had the same lapidus procedure done, the left one is absolute fine, with a dicky knee,but the  right one is a painful nightmare, even the scars are healing differently - how weird is that.

good luck with the op, keep your expectations low, move around for 5-10 minutes every hour, and you'll be amazed with the outcome.

also get a high stool for the kitchen, at least you can rest  a while, whilst making a brew.

caroline xx

• Posted

Hi Catoline

I have the same issue. My left foot is fine but the right one is much more painful and like you its healing differently . Weird .

• Posted

Hi. I also had both feet done. On left foot the scabs took much longer to fall off and seemed to be healing slower in the early weeks. Since about week 12 my right foot has been much worse than the left. Still get quite a few nightly pains in right one at 5 months post op. Swelling much slower to go down in right one. Go back to consultant in April. Also, pre. Op shoes don't fit cos toes straighter and need bigger size! Unexpected but I guess it it logics when you think about it!
    • Posted

Thanks Caroline. I love white tea and take B, D and iron as well. Linseed totally forgot about that. I've never tried bed exercises but guess I have no option smile. I will definately do the thighs and calves like you said.  Wish you a quick recovery and hope your scars will heal and fade soon.
    • Posted

Doctors refused double bunion in NA - its very rare and time isnt on my side to keep looking for a doctor. Im schedule to have my right foot done on April 24th (off work for 2 month) and next year ill get my left foot done.
  • Posted

Hi

Good plan. I had to keep to fish, fruit and veg with occasional slice of toast. I am into 3rd week post op ( I had both feet done as well) and I have not gained any weigh although feel sluggish as have not excercised .

Definitely take vitamin C and D both help with healing. Prunes are a must as the pain killers and inactivity makes you constipated.

You will have good days and bad days, so don't be disheartened.

Good luck and speedy recovery. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Start. I don't like prunes but I will eat them smile 

Wish you a speedy recovery as well.

• Posted

Hi Owl. You seem well prepared as part of your normal lifestyle. I was not very active preop but as a 9st 10lb 5ft 51yr old female with a limited self confidence Ididnot ask many questions. I focused on breathing techniques alongside strength and streching exercises involving core arms and legs. I found it important that to ensure both arm and both legs equal in strength to each other. I struggled with eating due to analgesics and pains so bought protein bars. Now am steadily adopting the kind of eating you have. I would also add lots of water and ex-lax to avoid constipation. What I did read was the need to have a supply of items to occupy yourself. Sitting with elevated legs does leave your mind very bored. One of the things I started to us social networking as well as crosswords, wordsearch and knitting. Skin care of feet to have them free of hardskin is a must. And remember being indoors does dry skin in general. Hope some of this had bern of use even if it is just to confirm you are doing the right thing.
    • Posted

Thanks Karen. I've read about breathing technicques in yoga and I have been trying to do that every morning. It's a great way to relax and feel energized. Water is a must indeed. I have't drink anything but water in the past 4 years and I haven't felt greater.

Someone in this post mentioned prunes for constipation. Maybe you can try that as well. You sound like you're doing really well smile Wishing you a speedy recovery and I hope to receive more updates on your recovery.

• Posted

OWL,

I go in for surgery 9/10/20. Do you have any advice for me to do before and after. Anything you ate or did to help with not gaining weight and staying healthy? I am in a very similar position as you were five years ago except I'm 40. I hope all is well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.