Bunion surgery on my two feet at the same time

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 53 years old and work in retail.. My bunoins aren't particularly painfully but have noticed that my feet are beginning to change shape is my big toe is starting to cross over my other toe.. I have been to the Victoria infirmary glasgow and I'm now awaiting surgery, I'm starting to doubt this operation as I have read so many horror stories about the pain.. I really don't know what to do now can anyone help to make me decide.I work for marks and spencer and will be supported with sick pay when I recover I'm just a big scardy cat.lol and worried I will be left with pain ..thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane

My pain was horrible up to 4 days. But I battled through and live to tell the tale. It gave me an opportunity to catch up on much needed sleep and rest. Once day 4 had passed I felt like me again. Just ensure you take the pain medication and plenty of water. It truly is worth it, rather than going through the he'll of painful feet the rest of your life. If you're on Facebook check out this page I joined, it's a marvellous group, who have all gone through various operations, makes me feel like a wimp when I see some of their pictures and read their stories. " I survived a Bunionectomy" good luck and Happy Healing xx

• Posted

Thanks for replying I will join the face book page I was just worried because my feet aren't sore at the present and should I go through with it 😊

• Posted

Everybodies story is different. It's easy to be afraid of the unknown but focus on the good healing and only worry about what is and not what might be!

Good Luck, Be well!

Laura

• Posted

I'm 50 and have had painful bunions for as long as I can remember so this surgery was for pain relief. I wouldn't put myself through this for cosmetic purposes. My experience is....my right foot is 5 months post op. It was exceptionally painful for the 1st 3 or so weeks.....needing help to bathe etc and not sleeping then bearable pain until 3 1/2 months or so including very sore metatarsils as the foot has to settle and realign itself. My foot still swells and isn't comfy in my normal shoes yet but I can function fairly normally. I'm virtually pain free now apart from twinges but constantly in trainers as it could take 12 months to settle.Everones recovery will be different. It will be interesting to see if my left foot follows suit. I absolutely dont reccommend having both done at the same time....how would you get to the bathroom etc?

• Posted

HI....I live in Canada and had my bunion done 2 years ago on my right foot and 10+ years ago on my left. to tell you the truth I didn't find the pain that bad. Everybody had said that it was so painful before I had my operation, maybe I have a high pain tolerance I don't know. But I didn't think it was painful after the operation. I just took the medication that I was supposed to for pain. On Sept 26 the best surgeon in BC is going to correct my 2nd toe that the first surgeon had fused. That is one thing that I would stay away from is fusing the toes. They will never bend again. Which I wasn't aware of before the operation. Now she has to shorten my 2nd toe it's longer than my big toe. I will be awake for that too, which is going to be scary. 

But honestly I wouldn't worry about the pain from the bunion surgery it's not that bad.

• Posted

Hi Jane,  when I went for a consult with my surgeon he said there were three factors to consider when deciding whether or not to have the surgery. First was if they are painful. Second was aesthetic and I forget the third. That being said, it sounds like you aren't happy with the way they are looking and that's helped you make the decision. I personally did not have tons of pain from the surgery. I took pain medication for about 4 days and then maybe another pill or two after that. Btw did I mention I do not have much of a pain tolerance?  The worst part in my experience is that you can't do much. If you don't keep your foot raised you pay the price with sweeping if your foot and discomfort. You also cannot do basic things again because it would require that you stand and that just hurts. I am three weeks in and cannot wait till week 6 because I hear at that time they put you in a sneaker. I hope this helps!  Good luck in your decision and surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.