Bunion surgery - recovery experiences please

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hello

I have just been referred for bunion surgery and I am interested in knowing peoples recovery stories.

I am a single mum of 2 children aged 7 & 9 and my job involves driving.

So I am wondering how quickly people could driver after surgery and how much support I would need at home from my Mum in the early days?

I woould also like to hear from anyone who has had the minimally invasive surgery as I keen to know if the recovery is quicker?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Zoe

Well it's Monday and I had surgery 3 days ago (Friday). Both feet done. Bunion removal by minimal invasive surgery (MIS). The pain is not as bad as what I thought. Just feels like wearing a tight shoe. The problem is having both feet done is being cared for. The dr. (Australian Peter Lam) said I was only to walk on crutches to the toilet and that is it for two weeks. Very strict with those instructions. So my partner does everything for me willingly which is fantastic.

I am allowed from day one to put full weight on each foot. But apparently for healing purposes both feet must be up 24/7. No way could I drive a car even if one foot done. Some people recover quicker than others and also depends how bad your bunions are prior to removal. I stayed over night in hospital only because I was the last patient of the day. Back to room about 6pm. Happy to answer any further questions to anybody 

Thanks

Tamsin

• Posted

Sorry I think I got a little confused as Tamsin you had your surgery quite recently. How are you feeling at the moment ? Please let me know where you had your surgery and who your doctor was ?

Thanks so much!

• Posted

Oh my gosh. I’ve just had Dr Lam do mine. October 20. It’s. Day 18 and I tried to shop. But sore on top of foot where laces press. I thought most people on here were in US.    My main worry is how long it’s going to be swollen. Cannot wear any sneakers but one pair. 
    • Posted

Hi Tasmin, I’m having both mine done with Peter Lam next week. How are you travelling? How long were you in the boot for? How long till you started driving? Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Maria 
  • Posted

HI Zoe

how are you getting on with your recent surgery ? Do you mind if you can let me know who you did it with as I am considering the minimally invasive surgery too.

Thank you

Ekta 

• Posted

Hi, had surgery 9 weeks ago and doin well I am from Tennessee and my Doctor was Dr.Derek Riley in Pulaski Tenn.but think he is originally not from here very good doctor I recommend him to anyone He is young but Good. If u have it I wish u luck.
  • Posted

I have also been referred for bunion surgery and like you would love to hear the experiences of people who have had this operation this year. I have read about micro surgery but not all surgeons are positive about this method as they say the bunions are more likely to recur . The recovery period  of traditional surgery also seems very long to me . At least six weeks? I walk about five miles a day presently and am dreading being confined to the house. 
    • Posted

Yes I walk every day too and train with a PT twice a week. I’m going to try to do some training this week but only upper body sanding still. Or sitting. Cannot walk too far. 
    • Posted

Hi Maggie 

my surgery was keyhole performed by dr Peter Lam. St George private hospital at kogarah (Sydney) it’s day 18. Can weight bear from outset but only had one foot done. Drove car today (auto). Can’t spend too long walking though as it gets sore. Didn’t use crutches at all nor many painkillers. Off work 5 weeks but will see how I go. I’m a teacher so not easy to teach with my foot elevated. Bandage comes off at 2 weeks and I wear a bunion sleeve 12 weeks. With socks and wide toe joggers. Cannot get my foot into my other sneakers. I’m hoping in 3 more weeks the swelling is easing. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Just woundering how your recovery is going?  I am day 10 both feet keyhole.  I can walk a little but if I do need to rest after.  I go see my surgeon on Wednesday to remove my bandages.  Just woundering what where you able to do once bandages where removed.  Hoping I can be more mobile.  

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Syl 

• Posted

I had the bandage off at 2 weeks. He put a bunion sleeve on my foot which stays on 12 weeks except at night. Can only wear joggers. I rested another week. Only walking round  10 minutes or so each hour. Then week 4 I walked a few hours in morning then rested in afternoon. This is week 5. I go back to work next week. I’m starting back walking in afternoon but it won’t be at my usual pace. I can’t put too much pressure on the ball of my foot as it feels tight. I don’t like standing  bare footed as I can’t stand flat. I feel as though I’m standing more on the outer of my foot. I’ve tried tiptoes but if feels like bone pushing against the floorboards. I’m hoping by 8 weeks it’s going to feel more normal. I have to stretch my big toe downwards 20 times per day. 

I see Dr Lam again on 1/12. 

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience!!  I just got my bandages off yesterday, and have got a sleeve put on and got a pair of bunion shoes which I was told I will wear for 4 weeks.  I am in a lot of pain but happy the bandages off.  I managed an hour on my feet last night to help with my kid’s lunches for school to help my husband out, but paying for it today.

I understand what you mean by not able to put a lot of pressure on the balls of the feet, mine are extremely tight too.  My surgeon is fantastic but a bad communicator and didn't tell me much as to what I should do post two weeks.  Did you get told to ice as well?  I bought an elevation pillow and have been resting and icing my feet.  Any tips you can provide I really appreciate.  You must be happy you are going to work next week!  I have started working from home today which I can do whilst lying down. You must be excited to reach 6 weeks next week. 

• Posted

Tomorrow is week 5. I’ve extended my leave by a week so won’t go back till dec 4. I iced right up to last weekend. 4 weeks. It does make a difference. Swelling has gone down a bit more but the foot is definitely thicker through from ball to instep. When I stand and put full weight it feels like bone on floor whereas the other foot feels normal. I walked twice this week but rested the next day. I can’t really balance on one foot. I have to stretch the joint 10 times x twice a day. Pushing down on big toe while supporting under the ball of foot. That’s so that ligaments get stretched also pretending to scrunch a towel under my toes. 

I worked with my trainer this morning but modified . Can’t do lunges, burpees, push-ups or any jumping. 

• Posted

When did you start working with your trainer?  i was expecting to have to wait the entire 6 weeks, but can't wait to start something again,  I know 2 weeks is to early was hoping by week 4 I could do something.  

• Posted

Week 3 and just some core work 

Missed next week then this week. But until I can tread normally it will be modified. I do a class Monday which is lots of jumping so won’t be back at that one for a bit. My notes say 4 months no running , jumping and 6 months no heels. Wear bunion sleeve 12 weeks. 

• Posted

I wish my dr gave me notes. I just found out his assistant is on mat leave and the new girl is hopeless.  I must be missing something from them.  Might email them and ask if there are any notes for after care.  All my info has been from the net.
    • Posted

I’d certainly call and request an after care instruction sheet. Especially in regards to any stretches you might do. My advice regarding bunion  sleeve was to wear it all day but not to bed. Put it on before getting out of bed. Put a sock on too. Do not wear without socks. Which of course means joggers. 
    • Posted

I called and they said they don't have any after care instructions.  This site is all I have.  Once again thank you for your advice, defiantly won't be wearing the sleeve tonight. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, just reading your posts and presume after having your bunion shaved but not straightened, as you say was not successful, and now have had it done again with Peter Lam.   I did send you a message previously asking how you got on with your shaved bunion and swelling but havnt heard from you yet. Would really be glad to hear of your shaved bunion experience.   I am week 9 now and still have swelling after having it shaved, but can fit into a sneaker now and am walking better.     Looking at my shaved bunion, I may have to consider getting it done again properly next year. Would love to hear fro you.
    • Posted

Hi. I started replying and the page kept reloading so I lost it. Shaved 2001. Didn’t really bother me for long. Was back at work in 2 weeks. This time much more swollen. Today is 5 weeks. Have 3 pins in big toe and joint. My toe was still leaning over the first time so in hindsight I should have asked more questions. Certain shoes only made it worse. 

Have to wear a bunion sleeve for 12 weeks which I believe could have helped hadci worn one the past 16 years. I’m not sure why o let it go so long. 

But I think recovery will be longer. I’ve been on 3 walks this week but not at the pace I like to walk. Can’t put too much pressure through the ball. Plus the side thickness of the joint from ball to top of foot is bigger than other and I don’t know how much of that is swelling. Back to Dr Lam next Friday. Will ask more details then. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, many thanks for info.  I'll see how my toe is after having it shaved, I am at week 9 now and still have swelling. Have bought a good pair of walking shoes which I can get my foot into, so will try driving next week and also going for short walks. Wondering now after what you said whether I should get a bunion sleeve.   Would be grateful if you could tell me what you think about them and where I could purchase one in Australia.   Thank you Pam 

• Posted

Hi everybody.  I haven't been keeping tabs whats going on for awhile but find this is the best blog for our operation.  I am now week 10.  

I am back at work -  2 weeks.  I had 2 months off.  My feet look amazing - thank you Dr. Lam!!!.  They still feel stiff every day and still a little swollen and purple but I am assuming this is normal.  I wear my bunion sleeve in my joggers every day and will up to 3 months.  My feet ache sometimes with the sleeve on but I am presuming this is normal.  Never painful just ache.  I rub my little scars every day and do the the little exercises Dr Lam has told me to do.  He told me I was a little behind on my 6 week visit as I was too gentle with these exercises and so I went to physio twice.  I am back at the gym rowing and cycling and cross training.  Pushing on the rower I believe really assists stretching the tendons and the next day my feet feel really great.

Everyday my feet feel like they are stiff and hard so walking and pushing off at the toes assists for the next day.  2 steps forward one step back appears the way it is for me.  Cant wait to feb 2018 when I hopefully can run again.

Good luck to you all.  We all go through different ways off healing.  Be patient.

Tamsin

• Posted

Hi Everybody.  This is my 2nd attempt in sending you all an update on my feet. Having problems sending...... So I apologise if there is a previous message sent.

I am 10 weeks post op.  I had 2 months off work and have been back for 2 weeks.  Finding it fine.  I feel my feet ache a little with every step.  No pain just a little ache.  Like muscles hurting after exercise when they haven't been used for awhile.  My feet are still a little swollen and if I do hard exercise my toes go a little purple.

In the meantime, my feet have sometimes been really itchy, feel so hot I have had to ice them and swell up first thing in the morn.  Putting my bunion sleeves and shoes though seem to control the swelling like a compression bandage.

I have been rowing, cycling and cross training at the gym (as per Dr. LAM's advice - he informed me I can't run, cycle - outdoors or walk on the beach) and when pushing my toes on the rower I find the next day no ache.  My 6 week post op visit to Dr. LAM wasn't as good as I anticipated.  He said my feet were a little behind because the exercises he prescribed i wasn't doing them hard enough, I was doing them with no pain.  He told me to see a physio and so after 2 visits my feet are getting there.  I think I have just been too gentle with them.

I wear the bunion sleeve every day with socks and joggers but my feet love walking with no shoes.  I massage my tiny scars as told.

However my feet still feel hard and stiff with every step, but I am very happy - thank you Dr. LAM.  We all go through different ways of healing, I am assuming I am slower than the next.  Hopefully able to run in Feb 2018.

Good luck to all. 

Tamsin

• Posted

Hi Nismat, Glad to hear you're really happy with the results of your bunion op.  It is just the recovery time now which is quite a slow process.   You mention that you are wearing a bunion sleeve and I was wondering if you could tell me where I could get one and also which one you have, as when I check on the internet there are lots of different ones.    Would be very grateful if you could help me with this info.    Because I've only had my bunion shaved and the toe was not straightened I think a bunion sleeve would really help.Many thanks Pam

• Posted

Hi. I also had surgery with dr Lam 20 October. 6 weeks off work and back this week. He told me last Friday I don’t have to wear bunion sleeve but must continue to stretch big toe downwards. 

I’m walking but not at my full pace. I went back with my trainer at 3 weeks but mostly core work and upper body. 

Without shoes my foot doesn’t appear to be flat. I don’t think I’m putting weight through that main joint. It’s swollen in afternoon. 

• Posted

I am 8 weeks in, just driving.my bunion boot is 

, removed when driving I put on a comfortable slip on shoe.  I still have to walk with bunion shoe.

its still swelling if on it to long.  I am just starting slowly back to my workouts.  I sit most of the time, but Iam out there.  I go to classes, and I fine it's ok because Iam not confined to the house.

good luck.  I had traditional surgery and 61 waited to long.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth 

How is PT working out.  I start December 21.  I just started using shoes, working out twice a week.  This is after 2months.  My big toe is still stiff, does PT help with that.

• Posted

Hi elizabeth

my first day with my PT, walking is highly suggested. Toe spreads, massaging the foot, heel raises and big toe crunches with a towel.  It felt great, and pulling the big toe.  I needed that, and it's also to be done at home.  

My big toe is very tight, so I will be doing this until next appointment.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I’m having both feet done with Dr Lam next week. How are you travelling? How long did you have your boots on for? Any insights would be great. I’m nervous! Maria
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, 

I’ve had a Lapidus fusion Bunionectomy (screws and pins inserted for permanent fix) on both of my feet. Right was done May 2017 and the left done October 2017. I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks and had 2 weeks with a walking boot before walking in sneakers again. Physical therapy was a must for me because I wanted full mobility of my toes and feet. I started week 6 post op on both feet. Has really helped the healing process. Best decision I made to have this surgery. I also have an amazing podiatrist!

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth and other Sydneysiders who saw Dr. Peter Lam,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. 

I'm in my 30's, hoping to see Dr. Lam and am concerned if having foreign screws/pins will cause me complications in the decades to come. 

I've read up on Dr Lam's minimally-invasive technique and then, I've also read another online forum where some patients (I don't know what technique they underwent) had their surgeon remove the screws due to discomfort/protrusion during the recovery process. And it actually didn't affect their healing.  Does this mean, essentially, the screws don't need to remain implanted in the big toes at all?

I'm wondering if Dr. Lam addressed any of these issues to you? 

Kind regards, 

?Jay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.