Bunion surgery recovery - when can I scrub my foot?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had bunion surgery at the end of August 2017, less than two weeks ago, and I will get my bandages off or just changed (not sure) on Friday. I've been using a Limbo when showering to keep the bandage dry. I'm desperate to properly clean my foot and start using moisturisers again. I know it's going to be a while before I can do this but I just wondered how long people are normally in dressings for / when do wounds heal? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'd wait until the stitches come out. That's usually the mandatory wait. Could be a couple weeks

• Posted

I've just had my 6 week check with my surgeon. Up until now I havnt been able to soak my foot. I started taking the bandages off after my 2 week check and cleaned and moisturised my foot knowing the wound is coverd by a large plaster then putting the bandage and padding back on. The bandages are now off so I can properly soak my foot. Bliss.

• Posted

Hello Zobot, I had bilateral bunion surgery on 15 August 2017, so I'm now just over 3 weeks post surgery.  My feet were all bandaged up and I was told NOT to get them wet at all, so I used baby wipes every other day and had bath's with my feet sticking out over the side.  Quite funny!  I had my stitches removed 1 week ago,Thursday 31 August 2017, just after the 2 week mark and the nurse just put simple gauze bandages that stuck over the top of the stitches.  I also have 4 k wires sticking out of my 2nd and 3rd toes on both feet (which are totally freaking me out as I'm scared its going to hurt when they remove them...).  Anyway, the nurse said after she removed my stiches that I can get my feet wet and that I could have a shower, just not to go soaking them.  So I have been having showers since then.  She said that the bandages would probably fall off within a few days, so I figured out as they were kind of getting floppy today I would just pull them off.  Part of the bandage had stuck to the scabs where the stitches were removed and they were really hurting as they were pulling on them.  I don't know if I've done the wrong thing, but they were not stuck to half of my foot anyway as showering them had caused them to become unstuck.  I have to say I do live in Sydney Australia, so it may be a different procedure for you if your overseas?  I do know that everything I've read so far has shown completely different post operative instructions!

Apart from that how did you find the pain factor to date?  Mine was terrible...The nerve block didn't work on my right foot and I came out of surgery in absolute horrific pain and agony.  They gave me morphine injections all night along with endone and other types of morphine but it didn't kill the pain.  Morphine doesn't work for me, so I suffered!  Then the hospital made me leave the next day without a wheel chair and I had to walk up 2 flights of stairs as I'm on the 1st floor. I nearly ended up in the footpath with the walker the pain was so bad...urrrrgghh agony!  I found it was really bad until a few days ago when I started to turn the corner on the pain.  I managed to hire a wheel chair for 2 weeks on day 2 post op which made all the difference.  I returned it last Thursday and haven't used the walker pretty much.  I'm a single mother to a 5 year old with no help at home so I really struggled pain wise but have had to keep on my feet quite a lot due to the demands that go with kids!  My friend has been great in taking her to school and bringing her home and my best friend took her for 5 days, but after that the rest I've done, washing, cooking, cleaning, homework.  So the double bunionectomy hasn't been as dramatic as I had thought it would be in terms of lack of moving.  Just the pain factor with the right foot grrrr... but left was fine, the nerve block made a huge difference in feeling no pain on that foot.  But I must say, I'm walking around a bit and I'm now in week 3.  I still have to wear the darco sandals (not the wedge type but the flat ones) but as I have wires coming out of my feet I can't wear shoes anyway.  I figured they are airing out now quite nicely now that the bandages are off.  I have the wires removed on 28 September 2017, 3 weeks from today, so I want the stitches, etc, to be nice and healed by then!  All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.