Bunion Surgery what to expect

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello, I am having Lapidus Bunionectomy scheduled on March 28th. I am trying to prepare for this. I got my crutches and air cast boot. I attempted to get up my stairs and man is it hard on one foot and with crutches. I went most of the way on bum.I swear that once i get up I wont be going down anytime quickly. What can I do to prepare for this surgery? I will be making a few meals ahead of time. The Dr says 6 weeks non-weigh bearing. Can I sleep in my bed? or will the couch be my bed for a while. Any ideas or tips to help me through this would greatly help. Is the pain bad?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Eileen. Just had to respond! You will wear your strappy sandals. I am something of and Imelda Marcos regarding shoes and therefore have many pairs. All pairs except one are flat/loafer and/ or ballet pump in style. Naturally the thought that I'd be unable to get my foot into my beloved shoes did cause me a bit of anxiety after the operation as the swelling was definitely there to see. However, on the day I removed my bandages I was curious to see what if any shoes I would be able to get on. With some very gentle levering with the help of a shoe horn - the bending of the foot was an issue as we don't realise just how much we need to bend our feet in order to get the simplest of shoes onto our feet - I got 2 pairs of Gabor flat shoes on. It was a bit of a struggle to start with but once my toes were safely inside my foot was very comfortable. So, what I'm saying is, it seems to be the actual getting the foot into the shoe that's the problem but once on all is well. That was on 20 January. Each week I've seen the swelling reduce and have kept 'experimenting' with my other shoes and now I can pretty much get them all on without too much heaving and ho-ing and am delighted that I will not need to replace any of them. As for the sandals. I tend to walk around indoors in sandals normally and I am continuing to do this. So, I think you'll be in luck. I no longer walk about flat-footed and my usual walking is just about back to how it was pre-op.

Isn't it amazing how many of us there are having this surgery!? I never realised bunions were such a national/international problem.

Happy feet indeed!

Gillian

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the reply Gillian. I did try to get a shoe on yesterday but couldn't bring myself to force anything! My feet are still quite swollen so won't try again for a while. Nice to know that I will be able to wear my old shoes- or the ones that are not too misshapen!

E

• Posted

Your surgery was march 28.    When did your swelling go down enough to wear a normal shoe.  I need to have the surgery.  I downhill ski and want to be able to get in my ski boot.  
  • Posted

I had Lapidus bunion surgery a week ago and have kept my foot elevated virtually 24/7.  However, when lowering the leg (to go to the loo) there is a sudden pain and I cannot get my foot elevated quickly enough to control the pain.    I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
  • Posted

Hi Aniita,

how are are doing now?  I just had the same procedure , lapidus and the same for a bunioette  on the same foot, the surgery was 6 days ago and I am experiencing the same symptoms every time I lower my foot to use the bathroom 😫  I have done nothing but lie on my back with my foot raised, icing and medicating, so depressing, also, my big toe does not even look straight!  My bunions are/were considered severe (I am 45 and have had them pretty much my entire life) so I am sure it will be an improvement, not that looks were my reason for surgery, but I had hoped having gone through all this, as well as having normal functioning pain free feet, I might have straight toes!  I am having the splint removed tomorrow before having it put in a cast, so I guess I will be able to see how it looks then and hear what the surgeon has to say.  Anyone else had an experience like this?

• Posted

Hi Anita, How is your foot now? I had a bunion surgery (right foot) 5 weeks ago. I'm getting concerned because I m scheduled to go back to work in 2 weeks.  My foot still doesn't fit in a regular shoe.  I bought a pair of sandals with straps/Velcro.  They fit okay.  I wonder when I will be able to drive, my car is manual, since it is my right foot.  Any pieces of advise?  I'm still elevating my foot and applying ice.  How often do you recommend to do this at this stage?  

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.