Bunionectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,  I'm seriously thinking of having a bunionectomy ( both feet if possible)..For you who have had this surgery, How long is the recovery time?  My job requires me to be on my feet for 8 hours.  I just don't know what to do.  Plus I'm a very active 58 year old that lives alone !

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I double bunionectomy 7 weeks ago+ big toes fused due to severity of the bunions. Everything went much better than I had hoped. Minimal pain etc. I love looking at my new straight toes. But ... I had expected to be doing light walking now, which I do. I have always been active and sporty etc. Hiking, walking, swimming. yoga, water sports etc. So, I was looking forward to getting my life back about now. Unfortunately, If I walk about 100 yards, on crutches, I am totally exhausted. The only footwear that fits is a pair of orthopedic sandals, because I also suffer from plantar fascitiis in left foot. I have a treadmill at home and I have been looking forward to walking on it, but for now, I cannot. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend 3 week up because of adverse weather etc and I sent e mail to surgeon's office requesting an alternative date. Have not heard anything in 4 weeks. I am hopeful that in the coming weeks, I will be able to walk a bit further each day. If I didn't have hope, I don't where I would be. So far I have no regrets about having the op. But I do so wish I could walk a bit more than I can right now. 

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

I am 7 weeks into my recovery from a bunionectomy. I also stand for my job and I had 2 pretty large bunions, my Dr. does not operate on  both feet at the same time which was fine with me , so I had the right foot done, it was the most painful. I am 57 and married so I feel confident in telling you I think having both feet done simultaneously  and living alone might not be the right way to go..Its been very challenging with just having one done . I am still using a knee walker and non weight bearing that will be a total of 8 weeks soon. There are many different kinds of bunion surgeries from what I was told and obviously from reading some of the posts on here.  Some people are back to work and walking at 4-6 weeks.  Not the case with me ! I have a permanent screw and a wire to keep the bone from ever moving again. This procedure that was done on my foot has really taken a toll mentally and physically. If you have large bunions be prepared to be off work and get some one to help you with your recovery..Good luck in making your decision. I know its a hard one.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I don't want to put you off or bring bad news but think long and hard about this procedure. I had my bunion done on June 12th last year. It is etched on my mind. The pain is dreadful I was 7 weeks non weight bearing and now, still waiting for corrective surgery and to have some of the metal taken out. I thought I was a strong fit person. This has floored me completely. Good luck and think well and hard .

• Posted

Oh I've been thinking for years about the damn surgery!!!  My bunions are getting worse has the years go by.  I just don't really want to be off from work more than 12 weeks.  My job requires me to be on my feet.  That's holding me back and the fact that I do live along and would probably go crazy!!  I'm pretty fit, so I could crawl around on my hands and knees or walk on my butt..lol.  I could stay at my daughter's home for the first couple days..  I guess I'm just hoping 12 weeks is long enough for the recovery???

• Posted

Have you considered one at a time at a podiatry clinic. I had keyhole, no pins or screws, local anaesthetic (that was the worst bit) and I walked out of the surgery with no aids.
    • Posted

Cheryl

I totally get it!!  I have hated my feet my entire life because of my bunions! And that's what happens  they continued to grow and because we stand at work it makes it painful, I spent the last few years searching for a good orthopedic foot surgeon in my area. Also do some research, ask lots of questions about what procedure will be right for you. If your bunions are on the large side definitely find a highly recommended foot surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl.  I had both feet done, bunions plus hammer toe on each foot beginning of December and had 6 weeks off work.  The good thing about having both feet done is you have no choice but to rest them which helps recovery.  I also found it better just hobbling around in surgical shoes rather than trying to use crutches.  It was really quite painful for first three weeks but each week has seen an improvement since.  It’s hard but worth it in the end (in my opinion).    I took lots of painkillers and  lots of rest and caught up on tv and read a lot of books   I don’t regret having them done.  Good luck 
    • Posted

So you had both feet done 4 months ago.  Are you back to normal?  Work? Walking around, everyday tasks?  I want both my feet done at the same time, to get it done and over with.  I'm just worried about how long the recovery period will be.  I don't want to be off work more than 12 weeks!!  I know everyone is different in their recoveries.  You sound like everything went well in your recovery  smile

• Posted

Hi Cheryl.  I had six weeks off work and didn’t drive during that six weeks.  Apart from my feet still being slightly swollen which means I’m still in a half size bigger shoe and I need to make sure my scars don’t rub on shoes,  yes I’d say I’m more or less back to normal.   I wouldn’t yet go for really long walks (4+ miles) but all day to day stuff is now fine.  These last few weeks have seen normality return !!  My advice is have a good mental attitude towards recovery, take lots of painkillers for at least the first four weeks and rest your feet as often as  you can.  A bit of home pampering is nice as well.  I have a foot spa which is lovely to relax my feet    I’m so glad I had both feet done at the same time.  Good luck x
  • Posted

I had double chevron surgery.  Both feet- i am 8 weeks and will be off on drs orders til 12 weeks.  

Some people seem to be up and active quickly, others not so much. 

I could not drive due to pain til week 7.  

No walking til week 6. 

• Posted

Hi Diana   I didn’t drive until 6 weeks, firstly because I was still in the surgical boot and secondly because my feet didn’t feel strong enough to use the pedals especially the left one.  Felt great to finally get rid of the surgical shoes and get back in a car 
  • Posted

I have been told 5 weeks in a special shoe (which I even sleep in ) though it's not necessary. I would like to have had both feet done at the same time but my surgeon didn't advise it. I'm a 65 year old with a bad back so i reckon you would sail through this op. A week on and still no pain. I had mine done at a optomnologi clinic.

• Posted

I have been told 5 weeks in a special shoe (which I even sleep in ) though it's not necessary. I would like to have had both feet done at the same time but my surgeon didn't advise it. I'm a 65 year old with a bad back so i reckon you would sail through this op. A week on and still no pain. I had mine done at a optomnologi clinic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.