Bunionectomy really not worth it!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I had a bunionectomy done on December 19th 2016. I was sent home with Percocet. Told to take it every 4 hours. The prescription said to take every 6 hours. As you I can imagine I ran out  before the prescription was due. Told my doctor and he said there was nothing he could do for me. He said that I was complaining to much that none of his other patients had as much pain as I did. I was in three different cast and he took me out of my last cast on February 7th. and put me in a walking boot. I was in that walking boot until March 9th.   He took me out of the walking boot and put me in my regular shoes. I went back to work on March 13th full duty.  As you know in retail there is quite a bit of walking. I am on my feet for seven and a half hours in my 9 hour work day. I complained of pain and barely being able to walk to my car at end of day.  I asked him if I should go back into my boot?  He proceeded to tell me and my husband that would be going backwards to go back into my boot. I then asked him about the surgical shoe?   He said if you think it would help yes come in and get one. I wore the surgical shoe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and it did not help. I emailed him and of course he was out of the office on vacation once again.  This has been like at least the fourth vacation since my surgery on December 19th. I  got a hold of one of his colleagues she told me I need to come in and see her.  That my joint was swollen and I may have an infection in it. I went in to see her and she proceeded to tell me that she didn't believe it was an infection.  That yes I did need to be off my foot for a while, so she took me off of work for the remainder of the week. That  was just Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Friday. I was off Saturday and had to go back to work on Sunday. I was still not able to walk on my foot or stand for a long period  of time by Saturday night. So I called the advice nurse and ask them what to do. They put in a phone call to the on-call podiatrist. He told them there was nothing he could do for me.  That he could not give me any time off work. I then proceeded to call again and get another doctor's opinion.  So the doctor finally called me at about 9:30 that night. Mind you I had to be to work at 6:30 the next morning. That doctor told me to stay off of my foot.  Call on Monday morning to get in to see the podiatrist. So I was able to finally get an appointment to go see the podiatrist again.  Now after looking at my final x-rays taken on March 9th.  The whole team of Podiatrist and foot surgeons looked at my x-rays. Came to the conclusion that where they had cut my bone, it was not completely healed. I am now in a cast once again no weight bearing.  I have a port in the cast in order to use a bone stimulator to help heal the bone.  Since I have been off work now from  December 19th.  I went back to work on March 13th for a total of 9 days. And I am off work again for another three months now. I have lost my position at work,  and I'm going to lose money in the end because of the Loss of position. This is my story. I live with constant pain every single day.  I wish I  never had a bunionectomy done. I could care less about wearing high heeled shoes,  flip-flops. I have an enormous scar on my foot. Numbness in my big and second toe. IT WAS NOT WORTH IT AT ALL!!! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor is wrong! I also work in retail and I'm going to be off upto 8 weeks, but I will not be going back to full duties which u shudnt of done, u need note sayin u can only do 3 to 4 hours and nothing else but till work, that's what I'll be doing n it takes 6 months or so to recover x

• Posted

that is correct.  I do desk work and got 8 weeks off to recover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.