Bunionectomy under local anesthetic

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, about 7 years ago I had a bunionectomy under general anesthetic. Now I'm having the other foot done with local injections on Feb 13th. I'm really scared. Can anyone give me some information and what it is like if they've had this done whilst awake please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are having to have the other foot done.

i had both done at the same time around 4 months ago now. i was like you, very scared. i actually couldnt believe they would be doing it while i was awake!!

the injections to numb the foot are painful (but bearable) and the actual surgery is a lot of tugging, pushing and pulling but zero pain. its a very odd experience! i had a few tears just before they started operating, 10 mins later i was on my phone a little more relaxed texting my mum and friends and watching random videos to pass the time. it took around 40/45 mins per foot.

enjoy the numbness for as long as you can, try and get a top up before you leave haha. when that wears off its a few days of hell.

best of luck and hope knowing a little more helps ease your concerns x

• Posted

Hi Samantha, thankyou for your input. I did say I wanted to be put out at first but I was told it would be 10 mths to a year to wait because the anethatist only visits the hospital once a month whereas to have it done whilst awake would only be two months to wait, which isn't long these days when you think about it. I'm frightened of the injections but I'm sure I'll get over it, I've had worse happen. However did you walk out of the hospital having had both feet done. Can you walk with numb feet? I'm not looking forward to up to 3 or so days after I've had the op but I've been through it with my other foot so know what to expect. Thankyou for making me feel a little better about it. I hope your feet have heeled by now with no more pain. x

• Posted

oh that is such a long wait, makes sense to go for it, 2 months isnt long. i wasnt given the option of local, however on reflection im glad (even if it didnt feel like that at the time)

yes i walked out of hospital in a fashion! very slowly on my heels. i was told once home to only get up to the toilet and nothing else, thankfully i borrowed a wheelchair from a family member and that made life easier.

thank you, im on the mend. they still get quite swollen when ive done too much and slight pain. but on the whole im happy. my right one foot isnt as good as my left but i have a 6 month follow up with the surgeon so i will address it with him them.

btw the injections arent nice but your absolutely right, youll have been through worse. i went into it all a little blinded so good for you for asking questions and being prepared. if youve already experience your first foot being done, you know what to expect. the pain doesnt last forever

all the best

• Posted

Hi Samantha, thankyou very much for your email. I'm glad your foot is getting better with less pain. I have a wheelchair up in the loft which belonged to my mother but hope I don't have to use it. I did buy myself some crutches though, the sort that hook round your arm so will probably use them, I'll have to see. I got over the other foot I had done 7 years ago very quickly but I'm 7 years older now so will have to see.

Thankyou so much for your reply, Kind regards, Pam

• Posted

Well, I had my bunion removed last Thursday 13th Feb and everything went well. As you said, Samantha the numbing injections in my foot were the worst and when I was wheeled to theatre they got me comfortable, put the earphones on me and showed me the tv. Well I tried to watch it but it was hurting my neck so I just laid my head back and closed my eyes. It only took 20 mins. I was actually home by 11am and was the only patient that morning so I was well looked after. When it came too the pain was awful, like electric shocks going through my foot which even made movement in my leg. On Monday I had a phonecall from the hospital to ask how I was and explained that I'd had a bunion removed and my leg was very swollen, red and hot. She said to get in touch with the doctor. It was the duty doctor who phoned me later and I told him about my leg and without any questions being asked he told me I had an infection and said he'd order some antibiotics from the chemist to be collected. The hospital rang again yesterday morning and asked me to come in to see the surgeon. When he took the bandage off he said it was healing nicely and wasn't infected and was angry that the GP duty doctor hadn't sent anybody to see me and had just diagnosed it over the phone. The hospital did two tests for thrombosis which they were worried about but the tests were negative. Anyway, today my leg has gone down a bit and is not so painful so just hope it continues this way in the next few weeks. Can't wait to have this bandage off!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.