Bunions

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am due to have my op on 5th December, although am on the standby list should a cancellation become available.  I needed to ask very many questions at the consultation, but the clinic was running 30 minutes late, so it was a bit rushed.   One of my main questions was when can I get back to swimming?  Wondered if anyone out there could help me with that one.  Also I love my exercise classes,  am guessing Zumba will be out of the question for a while, but what about Body Balance?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Idk what your having done I had a bunion removed and 3 pins put in my foot to line it up and I'm Ann off of my foot for coming to be a total of 10or 11 weeks I'm 6 weeks post opp and I just had my stiches  and steristrip taken out   and just now  able too get my foot  wet..if u don't have any vg pins put in I'm guessing it would be sooner hope this helps :-)
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

Many thanks for getting back to me.  My op is a Scarf osteotomy

+/-Akins, along with bunionectomy and soft tissue stabilisation.  I'm really not looking forward to a long period of inactivity, I'm thinking I'll go stir crazy, but will be nice to get shot of the bunion!

Hope your recovery is coming along well.  Take care.  xx

• Posted

Hi, I had surgery 4 days ago. I was told bones take 12 weeks to heal so you have to wait that long to get back to exercise - I was asking about playing netball and was told 3 months, but it could be more because it will depend on how I feel flexing my foot and pivoting. I thought I read a while back on this forum that someone started swimming at 6 weeks, but I'm not sure. I'd be interested to know! I have a check up next week so will ask and let you know. Good luck with your surgery! 
    • Posted

Hi Bex,

Many thanks for getting back to me.  It sounds like you are a really active person, like me.  Has the inactivity driven you mad?  I'm so hoping I get a cancellation appointment, my actual appt is a bit close on Christmas.

Hope your recovery is coming along well. Take care xx

• Posted

The first couple of days were ok because you're still getting over the anesthetic but now I am a little bored! But it's a good chance to do all of the little tasks you've been putting off! I definitely recommend having someone around to help you the first two weeks as walking to the toilet and back is enough really... You've just got to remember all of the rest will be worth it in the end! I hope you get an appointment ASAP! 
    • Posted

Thank you Bex.  Hope your recovery continues to be good.  Take care. x
  • Posted

Had my surgery 1 September, scarf osteotomy then hammer toe correction and moretons neuroma removed. Appx 8 weeks later can't take full pressure on that part of foot, tightness and pain swelling, later in afternoon and evening, done everything according to. book. I heard here that someone had an electric scooter, what a great idea.  I really would have liked that!! Think it's just long haul. Also great idea to keep upper body fit, will look at DVDs or online. Usually I keep fit by swimming as am 63 one replacement hip and arthritis in other so the raised foot at night killed my lower back and hip. So I lay across bed and did crawl leg exercises, this works, just need to be more disciplined. Also always do ankle movements to keep stability muscles and movement good. So nice to hear others. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Pam.

The Scarf Osteotomy  +/- Akins along with bunionectomy & soft tissue stabilisation is what I'm having (not looking forward to the immobilisation!)

How early did you get back to swimming?    

• Posted

It's 8 weeks on Monday since op. Pre-op used my local school/council pool and it's only open v early morning and eve + have 2 swim lengths.  Will go when last scar has lost its scab and I'm ready to get down metal ladder into pool that early! So perhaps week 11ish. May look at possibility of starting back during day if I can use local chain hotel pool and join their health club for 1 month. So need some not weight bearing, non lop sided activity.  What is soft tissue stabilisation?
    • Posted

I got me a knee scooter (no motor) and cv it helps so much you b won't feel so helpless I even go to the grocer y store with it..But not for long maybe a couple hours max then my foot starts throbbing but good luck! :-)
    • Posted

Hi Pam, not sure what soft tissue stabilisation is. Just read it on the letter following the consultation. Sounds like yr doing really well.xx
    • Posted

Don't know how to post pics on here but Google it it's a lil wierd looking but it's so much better than crutchessmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.