Bunions!!! One foot at a time, or both together

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am in need of bunion surgery on both feet and I really do not want to go through the 8 week recovery period twice, although I've heard to do them both together is very hard.

Please can I get people's opinion on whether to go for both feet together, or one at a time.

I am due for this surgery in the next month and my surgeon has said he will perform surgery on both feet.

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had both feet done at once and I'm glad I did. Like you, I did not want 2 periods of recovery and I do believe that it would be hard twice instead of once. Three months later I was managing long walks but during those 3 months of initial recovery, my life was largely put on hold. Ten months after surgery, I no longer have bunion pain, though I am still careful about footwear. I am definitely glad I had the surgery. As someone with chronic back pain, I was very aware that wearing 2 post-surgery boots kept my pelvis level. I was fearful that having one foot done would have me unbalanced and hurt my back. As it was, I got myself down onto the floor each day and managed some physio/pilates exercises to keep my joints moving.

Whatever you decide, I hope it all goes well for you.

• Posted

I agree with Helen. I should have had both feet done and it has thrown my body completely out of whack. I never realized until what Helen said, that because I didn't do both feet is why I'm having knee problems now. I never realized how important it is to be level when you are walking. One more thing, if the doctors have to put any hardware such as a screw, make sure you are not allergic to any metals. I had a titanium screw that was supposed to be permanent, but 2 years after surgery, I found out , through metal testing that I was allergic to not the titanium, but the fillers in the screw, which were nickel and cobalt. I was in pain and both of my feet were swelling. I had the screw removed and the swelling went away. I'm still healing. If you can only wear

14k jewelry and nickel earrings bother you chances are you could allergic to metal hardware in your body. The metal test is covered to a degree by insurance but worth it.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Have them both done a t once, I did. But do rest up and put your feet up.

• Posted

Definitely have both done at the same time. My bunions were horrendous. in 2017, I took the plunge and after much dithering, I decided to have both done at the same time. After the op, I had very little pain. Although feet were bandaged, I could see how much straighter they looked. Pain relief was very good and day by day, pain lessened. Having bandages removed 2 weeks later was heaven and 2 weeks after, I soaked my feet for the first time. Walking after 6 weeks. Today, scarring is almost non existent. So glad I had them both done at same time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.