Bupropion causing anxiety and insomnia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble with bupropion/Wellbutrin. I was suffering from generalized anxiety, and my doctor put me on 200 mg/day. This seemed to help at first, then anxiety increased. So he put me on 150 mg/day. Again, this seemed to help at first, but then anxiety increased. He put me on 400 mg/day. I only took one of the 200 mg tablets, as I developed odd body aches after taking it, and went back to the 150s. Meanwhile, I suffered from insomnia, which aggravated the anxiety. When I contacted my doctor, he told me that he didn't believe that the body aches were from the 200 mg, and that the medication wasn't causing me anxiety. He also advised me to take the 150 mg 3X/day, which I did not do. I became severly miserable, experiencing self-loathing and a sense of timidity. I went to a different doctor, who prescribed (on the short term) Ambien to determine if the insomnia alone was increasing my anxiety or if it was the bupropion. The Ambien has improved my sleep and given me at least a temporary respite from the anxiety each night. Yesterday, I stopped taking the 150s and replaced them with the 100s. I'm experiencing anxiety, which is uncomfortable but without the horrid negative feelings. I'm trying to schedule with the second doctor to discuss tapering off the bupropion. All this began on 1 December, when I was prescribed the medication. Anyway, has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately, Bupropion exacerbated my anxiety. I've read that it does that for many people. It did help with depression though. I have found Effexor has helped me the most with anxiety, but it has been a weight gainer. And many struggle with terrible withdrawals going off of it. You could check w/your Pdoc about adding a SSRI to combat the anxiety. That's very common practice.

Best wishes!

Amber

• Posted

Thank you, Amber. Since I wasn't be treated for depression, I'm not sure why this was the doctor's first choice. The only positives from the bupropion have been weight loss (largely from being too anxious to eat much), and a brief honeymoon period of feeling not bad when starting a new dose level. I suspect that the vast majority of the past month's anxiety has just been from the drug.

Best regards,

Jasper

• Posted

You may need a change of meds not all meds help you might need too try a few before one works. Talk to your doctor, find out if your surgery has a mental health doctor who could reassure you. Best of luck x
    • Posted

Thank you, Gwen. I may end up switiching to an actual psychiatrist.
  • Posted

If you have blood pressure issues these meds can give headaches and issues. They raise pressures. But if you dont it can be as simple as changing medicines. There is a cyp450 gene test its a blood tests and it would show you what will work well in your body and what wont properly metabolize. Its way easier then biuncing meds. Ask the doctor, and if he is outdated and doesnt know call around until you find one who does the testing. Many younger psychiatrists do the testing. Might be worth the visit to get this all ironed out.
    • Posted

Interesting! I hadn't heard of that. I'm giving the second doctor a chance, but yes, I may have to look for someone who is up to date.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.