Bupropion for 9 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just thought I'd add as there was nothing about this drug listed save for one short post.

Took Burproprion for 9 months with Fluox for depression, I found

the step-up onto the drug fairly easy - only some medium level

anxiety and some agression/anger flashes, that said I am not especially

sensitive to those kind of side-effects, If you are might be worth using

caution.

What I would say is I mainly took this drug to try and resolve the total apathy I feel about just about everything and It did little to nothing

to relieve that nor did I feel any extra legwork vs depression (still Not wanting to leave the house, black mood, not thinking about the future etc). I can say I felt mentally sharper and perhaps slightly more social.

Also I recommend you research this drug carefully before taking it as

it has been implicated [u:9451624106]Directly[/u:9451624106] in deaths associated with cardiac issues etc. It also increases risk of siezure.

Coming off of the drug was a non issue - stopped dead no sideffects

beyond headache and feeling slightly blunted.

Anyways thought I'd write a little about it, It should be noted that the

drug is approved for use only for its Anti-smoking benefit in the UK

though it is used for depression elsewhere, if you want it for depression

in the UK you will need to get to a consultant I would think to get it off label.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking this for 5 weeks for depression (I'm not in the UK) - I am still also taking another AD (amitriptyline) but have reduced the dose of that and will reduce it further. I am now taking 300mg a day, my psychiatrist said I could go to 450mg a day if necessary. I am feeling more positive in general and less fatigued than when I was on 200mg of amitriptyline a day. Having had various meds trials over the last 18 months (fluoxetine, trazodone, venlafaxine, amitriptyline) and a month as an inpatient, finally something seems to be cutting through the lack of motivation and inability to look to the future, and a feeling of inevitability that everything will get worse till I can't take it any more and try to end it.

I do really hope that I am finally on the right track. I wonder if anyone has any experience of it being used off-label in the UK?

• Posted

Bupropion can be used as an antidepressant but it's not licensed for

this indication in the UK.

Our own drug information leaflet clearly says that it's a drug to aid smoking cessation.

The Patient UK team

• Posted

I was prescribed bupropion for anxiety in the beginning of December. My experience has been negative, as it doesn't appear to be a good fit for me. Initially, it seemed to help, but then increased/sustained anxiety followed. I started with 200 mg/day and still experienced anxiety, moved up to 300 mg/day and experienced a different type of anxiety, a sort of self-loathing mixed with a bleak perspective on everything. When I tried taking a 200 mg tablet, I experienced body pains. Today is my second day after moving back down to 200 mg/day. It's uncomfortable but not like 300 mg/day. I am temporarily taking Ambien for the insomnia that I believe the drug caused. The insomnia greatly worsened the anxiety. It seems that my experience has been pretty atypical, and I'm probably an outlier, but I really question the doctor's insistence on using this for my anxiety. I am seeing a different doctor on Friday and will discuss tapering off of the drug.

• Posted

Been taking Bupropion 300mg a day for a number of years now & has helped me a lot so I'm a little afraid of stopping it. Anyone know of a ny long term side effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.