Burch colposuspension

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am awaiting my date to go in and have this procedure, just wanted to know what to expect from anyone who has had it done. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I had it done 18 months ago and it has changed my life!  I can't recommend it highly enough.

Mine was done under GA and I was in hospital for 5 days; this was a little longer than usual because there was a small nick in my bladder which had to heal before I could go home.

You will probably wake up with two catheters - one in your urethra and a sub pubic one through a little hole in your tummy and also a drain.  It can be a bit uncomfortable  for the first day or two but you will be given pain meds to cope with that.  When they removed my catheter and I tried to wee for the first time I had a nasty cramp in my bladder - this may not happen to you and it was only for the first couple of times anyway.

But the bliss of being able to live a normal life without wondering whether I am leaking and not having to wear protection all the time is worth any initial discomfort.  If there is anything in particular you want to know please get back to me, I'm happy to answer any questions.

All the best, I hope it goes well!

• Posted

Thank you so much, that’s such a relief to hear !!
    • Posted

Can i just ask how long your recovery took? I know that we all recover at different rates, I have been told to expect full recovery withing 3 months, fingers crossed thats the case 🙏🏻

• Posted

Yes I gave it a full 3 months before returning to normal life.  I felt well enough before that time but didn't want to risk wrecking the procedure by pushing too fast.

Yo can drive again after 6 weeks but avoid lifting of any kind for a full 12 weeks.  If you work outside the home you could probably return to a sitting down job after 6 weeks but if it's manual give it three months.

It's a major operation and your body will take time to recover properly.  You'll feel tired and need to rest a lot in the first weeks afterwards, so be kind to yourself and don't overdo it.

I was really careful to take things steadily and I've had a great result.  I know it's frustrating but worth it in the end.

• Posted

That’s great, thanks.  I work as a teaching assistant in a primary school, my job is very demanding and physical so I won’t bevtaking any risks ! 
  • Posted

Do you suffer from incontinence becausee I do and have to do pelvic floor exercises to strengthen that muscle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.