Burch vs TVT

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone 

I have stress incontinance as well as a mild bladder prolapse, I saw my urogyncologist a few weeks ago who talked through surgery options, he was one of the first to do the TVT surgery, did a lot of the training etc so was a strong advocate for how fab it is, quicker recovery time, less risk of bowel prolapse, less invasive surgery less time in hospital etc, my pre op is Monday so potentially looking at up to 12 weeks for surgery, but after looking into it in more detail online the whole mesh/tape problems are scaring me, as long as I avoid heavy lifting the prolapse is ok it’s bearable, but I would like to walk, jump and dance around the living room with my kids like a loon without smelling of wee. Has anyone had the burch procedure ? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had Abdominal Burch Colposuspension surgery done about 10 weeks ago and would recommend it! It’s been really successful, no more “sneeze and squeeze” for me! No leaking when coughing, laughing running or jumping anymore! 

My recovery has taken longer than I anticipated  but that could be age related (I’m 51), but it’s been worth it. The procedure wasn’t available using Keyhole surgery where I live but I believe recovery is much quicker if it’s done that way, might be worth you asking about it. 

I had surgery over 2 years ago to repair a double prolapse, this seemed to make the incontinence worse and I wonder if that had an impact on my recovery this time. 

If you need any more questions answered I’m here! 

Good luck 🤞🏻

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying, were you offered TVT as an option as well ? I’m 43 so only slightly younger lol
    • Posted

My consultant gave me literature on both procedures and discussed them both at length but without actually saying so his preference was Burch, he made a point of telling me to read up on the problems ladies had been having with TVT mesh procedures. 
    • Posted

I got literature on both, but because my consultant was one of the first to do the tvt and trained up a lot of the surgeons that now do it he sold that to me more, but reading the stuff online I’m not sure what to do now, thanks for your thoughts I appreciate it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.