Burning and sizzling sensation in shoulders neck upper arm

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I have posted here before. Nearly 3 months ago I wad diagnosed with mild fibromyalgia against a back ground of Osteo arthritis (the OA I knew about neck,spine,knees for some years and newly diagnosed lower back and hip I also have quite bad varicose veins but don't qualify for treatment on NHS). I wanted to ask about burning pain and in particular a sensation which I find hard to describe. I would not call it tingling and no numbness it is like a sizzling sensation or maybe water running in the shoulder and neck and upper arm sometimes in other parts of the body. 9/10 is starts when I lay down to sleep in bed. It takes ages to get to sleep. It does not seem to matter which side I sleep on although the left shoulder is the worse with the sensation and burning. I don't have a gp appointment until 7th of October ( had been waiting for my own gp to return as she has been away). I just wondered if this is anything to do with Fibromyalgia. I also worried about polymyalgia Rheumatica (is that the right spelling and name) but I did have blood tests at the end of June when I saw the rheumatologist for inflammation ESR CRP and one other and they were all normal. I dread having to take steroids (although already on inhalers for asthma) because I have glaucoma and they raise the eye pressures I would rather be in pain then lose my sight. I have also avoided trying Fibromyalgia drugs like Amitriptyline because f the side effects.Would be please to hear from anyone who has similar symptoms.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

The burning/aching or deep ache on the skin normally happens when the humidity is high.,,I have this consensus that when the barometric pressure in the air is high or active my pain is extreme.

• Posted

Thank you delores8 for your reply. That is interesting to know about humidity. I certainly can't cope with hot weather my hair is constantly soaking wet. I have had this ever since menopause so almost 20 years and it makes life very difficult.

• Posted

hi i get this it manifested as restless legs then became a whole body thing then almost like a wet crackling sensation, i had an MRI and they found wear and tear in the neck and diagnosed fibro, i already have RA, i have various ways to cope but this particular symptom i found a weighted blanket at night helped a lot to get to sleep, they can be pricey but anything for a good nights sleep! hope you find some relief xx

• Posted

Thank you Becci19 fir your reply. I have never heard of a weighted blanket but will look into it. I do get pain as well as burning and sizzling and cracking of joints. It is only the shoulder that keep me awake.

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to hear of these new symptoms you are having. There are so, so, many within Fibromyalgia. I, have had it for about 25 years now and I get new things, all the time!!

At the moment, it's chronic itching for me, which is driving me nuts!! I'm waiting to go to the Dermatologist as my GP has no clue and I can't find anything on the internet either.

Perhaps, you really should try some medication to help you. I, take Lyrica. For my Fibro. Although I am on a lot of meds as I have other things wrong with me. Including morphine. You could try some Diazepam it's a muscle relaxer and it should help you sleep. It's one of the most important things you can do with fibro and that's to get a good nights sleep. Don't over do things or you pay the price afterwards. You need lots of rest.

• Posted

Hello 2357 Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear you are having chronic itching. I have had odd days when I have had this but it must be awful if it is going on for a long time. Would an antihistamine help?

With regard to medication for fibro, I am very reluctant to take any medication unless really necessary as I have other problems namely IBS, gastritis,asthma, rhinitis and glaucoma because of side effects. I can only take paracetamol or cocodamol (but this upsets me) no nsaids or stronger because of the stomach and asthma not to mention you are not supposed to take them when you are over a certain age.The pain at the moment is manageable for the most part with paracetamol but might have to reconsider in the future.Although my fibro is only mild and I often find it frustrating to know which pain is which as I have degeneration of the neck, spine, thumb, lower back hip and knees. Sounds worse than it it though. I have found out that if I for example go for a long walk (to me this is a slow walk around the park taking 30-45 mins) I do find the next day I am tired and achy. As far as sleep is concerned I used to sleep badly mainly because I suffered from anxiety. It is much better now although not completely and I do sleep better although some nights not so good. I wish you all the best and hope you get some relief from the chronic itching I feel sorry for you. Take care.

• Posted

2357 You mentioned 4 weeks ago that you were plagued with chronic itching. I did read that it is a symptom of Fibro albeit a rare one. of course there are many things which cause widespread itching including anxiety and stress. Well guess what I have it now very hard to describe waiting for physio for shoulder which continues to cause pain burning and sizzling sensation. Finding it hard to sleep. Now itching had started sometime feels like an itch other times like a pricking sensation. Affecting arms hands neck face and and scalpl mainly. It seems to go from place to place randomly sometimes only lasting seconds. Last night was worse could not as keep very warm and stressed about blood results this morning. Everything is ok except kidney function level has gone down. Retest in 4 weeks. Feeling very tired and washed out. Also had flu jab for first time. Seems ok hope I don't get a reaction. I hope your itching has gone or at least improved and did you find anything. which helps. Hope you are ok.

• Posted

Hi Libra lady 13

I get similar symptoms most days and at bed times...I get pains in my chest and my abdomen too..It has been put Down to my fibromyalgia... Very uncomfortable and often very painful... I'm still trying to find some thing to help it... I take amitriptaline before bed although it doesn't help the pain it makes me tired enough to sleep... I hope you can find something that helps you too x

• Posted

Hello Katie1959 and thanks for your reply.I sometimes get odd pain in chest but I put it down to my back as I have arthritis in neck and spine which make neck and shoulders hurt. I find that bending a lot like putting and takings dishes out of the oven brings it on. Heat is the only thing that seems to take it off and I would not be without my heating pad. I have heard that chest pain can be caused by costochondritis (not sure of spelling) as it is inflammation of the ribcage and I have read that some people with Fibro have it maybe worth checking out if it gets worse. I have heard that amitriptyline is good for some patients but not others because of side effects. Good that is gets you to sleep. It is a horrible condition and seems to be very common in women. I hope you find something to help with your pain. I have been told that I do have mild fibro but it is against a background of widespread arthritis which does sound worse that it is generally. Take care and best wishes.

• Posted

Hi, sorry if i speak badly i'm french

I got this neck sizzling since 2 year, and it seem directly connected to the digestive system(

more specificly the bowel),

I had blood that come from the stomac and a LOT of acidic reflux.

i still smoke because i love it, but it give me acidic reflux.

I had a lot of pain in the abdomen due to the bowel iritation and it made me stress because i though it was a organ.

what did really help me is to do sport (1hour - 3 times a week) and eat less junk food

you gonna eat a lot of cooked green vegetable (must be cooked because its easier to digest)

i did take some Proton-pump inhibitor for the abdominal pain and it did really help

NEVER think your done, you can always heal

PEACE from New Calédonia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.