Burning area on labia. Vulvodynia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with vulvodynia but so many articles or forum posts I've read don't tie in with my symptoms. my pain is restricted to a small area on the outer edge of the labia majora and the best description I can give to GPs is that it feels like someone stubbed out a cigarette on that spot say a week ago, so it's a constant burning sensation but not as intense as a fresh burn. I'm 62 so have all the usual dryness and skin thinning associated with menopause. I've tried Lidocaine cream, steroid cream, low dose anti-depressant pills, sudocream, vaseline, epaderm cream, emuaid, canesten cream, Bepanthen cream, Episil cream. I use bleach and soap free everything. I wash underwear using mild olive oil soap based grains. I've had the burning constantly for 3 years. I'm interested so see that some people have linked vulvodynia to diet and will start a food diary. The burning area I have seems reactive to urine but barrier creams don't stop it, it's there all the time but sometimes much worse than others. I tested my urine and it's normal, my blood sugar is normal, I had a swab test done for fungal infections, none found. I'm considering paying to go to the London Pain Clinic and wondered if anyone her has done that? Also does anyone else experience vulvodynia as I've described it as opposed to being more connected to the vaginal area? And did anyone else link this type of pain to diet?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maggie, did you get sent to a gynaecologist for diagnosis? My experience was I was diagnosed by GP as having Lichen sclerosis but when I eventually got to see a consultant she said it was vulval dermatitis. I am surprise your GP did not offer Vagifem pessaries for the thinning and dryness on the skin. These do contain Oestrogen but a very very low dose and do not have the same risks as HRT if you are older as it is applied locally. I am sorry I can't offer any suggestions about the pain but hopefully you can get a referral to an expert if you have not already had one.

• Posted

I did see a consultant and she prescribed the low dose antidepressants I've just started taking, a side effect of them is nerve pain relief but I'm not thrilled to be taking anti-depressants and I'm not convinced it's nerve pain as it is a burning sensation that reacts to something unknown to be randomly better or worse each day. I use estriol cream but it gives me thrush like symptoms. So I've had a referral which came to nothing as in I'm no better but taking pills I'm not sure about. Even the term vulvodynia is just a description 'vulva pain' so if you Google it all sorts of things come up none of which coincide with what I've got. Apologies for sounding grumpy, which I am, the constant irritation of this is getting me down.

• Posted

Hi Maggie, any improvements?

It could be linked to diet, as some diets create acid environments in the body. I would recommend to change your diet to plain-based for some time like a month or 2.. Then use things with moderation but would recommend to avoid Gluten, Dairy, Meat, Fish if could or use with bare minimal.

Avoid using perfumes, body liquids and etc. that are acidic, that have Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS)

Fragrance (Synthetic perfumes) Fragrance of any kind isn't good. ...

You can look up and see the harmful stuff they put in conditioners and etc. Try to get some from eco-stores.

This is a guess of mine,

Hopefully you will get better

• Posted

Does this condition cause ulcers on the vaginal area ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.