Burning back ache

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have 2 bulges L4/L5 and L5/S1.  I have this burning in my left lumbar area out to left hip.  I’ve gone through the stage of having sharp pain but now it’s just achey and burns.  Does anyone know what causes the burning?  Is it a sign things are improving and how long do you think it will take to get better?    I take nortriptylene but I’m not sure if works very well, can anyone suggest anything better for burning?  I’ve had symptoms in total for 5 months.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi There Lis - I'm imagining the burning sensation is all due to inflammation. I have an L-5/S-1 issue. A good neuro surgeon can give you better options from all sorts of treatment. Depending on what the issue is with your back and what course of action you elect to treat it, it's hard to say how long it will take to feel better. Some people never feel better and others get relief with a variety of treatment plans. You didn't mention and Physical Therapy, Medications, epidurals, accupuncture or things you've tried in the past. Have you tried gabapentin? Suffering for 5 months is never fun. Some people suffer for years before they decide what's right in terms of treatment. Again, I suggest you consult with a good neurosurgeon or neurologist to see what works best for you. Back problems are very complicated and although they've come a long way with treatment, one size does not fit all.  Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Glenn

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried accupuncture in the past.  I’m currently trying Bowen Therapy which I thought was helping but I’ve had this burning pain for the last week so I’m not sure whether Bowen treatment making it worse.  I currently take 40mg of nortriptylene in the morning which was helping but I seem to still feel this burning.  It’s not painful exactly just hot, achey and very annoying.  A friend was on Gabspentin so I may ask my GP if I can try that but I am worried about putting on weight as I’m normally very fit and healthy and weight gain would be very depressing.  It’s hard enough trying to keep upbeat on a daily basis.  I shouldn’t moan too much as I know there are people much worse than me but it does start to grind you down after a bit.  I also stretech daily and do core exercises and I’m waiting for a referral to a neurosurgeon but so far that has taken three months.  

• Posted

Hi Lis,I was going to respond to you but after reading Glenn's post I could not have done better.I have same issues plus a lot more I had this same burning for 20 years before I became paralized from something elseI was in the hospital when the hospital assigned a neurosurgeon to my caseHe had me baCK ON MY FEET  WITHIN HOURS.ONE OF MY PROBLEMS WAS INFLAMATION AT S1 AREA.hE GAVE ME NEURONTiN or gabapentin.iT HAS WORKED wonders for me.Sorry about my writing but is caused by every nerve in my neck is pinched.It causes my hands to jump and go where they want.

• Posted

Hi Faye

Thanks for your reply and I’m sorry you’ve suffered so much.  Someone else suggested Gapapentin, did you have any side effects or weight gain etc?.  My GP has been pretty useless regarding pain management, he just gives me codeine which doesn’t really work.   I take Nortriptylene 40mg per day and that helps a bit but this burning drives me mad, it’s a new symptom as I’ve only had it for a week, before that just tingling and pain .

• Posted

Lis,I put on weight after hospital stay I could not get enough to eat.All the dr.'s I talked to said it was the steroids.I was on strong steroids while in there.I began my diet 2 months ago and have lost 19lbs.For me Norco does not work on my inflamation pain or burning. Only the gabapentin.

• Posted

Faye, did you notice any appreciable weight gain? As a male I did not. Neither did my 13 year old GShep.
    • Posted

Thanks Faye, I’m going to make an appointment with my Doctor this week and discuss Gabapentin with him.   Having read Glenn’s  post I remembered that my Doberman also had Gabapentin when he had an issue with his spine.  Maybe I should go to the vet instead!  I refused to take any medication for the first three months of pain but now I’ve succumbed as I got so sick of pain!  Having said that I took two Turmeric capsues about an hour ago and the burning has lessened a bit!   It really helps being able to hear other people’s experiences so thank you very much and best of luck.
    • Posted

I forgot to say - well done on your weight loss, that’s fantastic!

All the best, Lis 

• Posted

Hello Again, Lis - I did not experience any weight gain with Neurtontin or Gabpentin. My 13 year old German Shepherd is also on it and he hasn't gained any either. I know we are all wired differently and our chemistries react differently to different meds but give it a try. I have to give you credit for being concerned about your weight and staying healthy. These kinds of maladies usually send people over the edge to food or some other vent. 

Again, I hope you find some relief soon. That burning sensation is plain miserable. Not sure if you use any tropical ointments for your back but you might want to try apothecanna extra strength body cream. All natural with arnica, peppermint, juniper and cannibas. You can find it on the internet. It has helped me through some tough times with my low back and sciatica. I was told only surgery could help my issue but I'm hanging in and avoiding surgery at all costs. 

• Posted

Thanks for that.  I will look into the cream you suggest.  I’m not all healthy - I have succumbed frequently to whisky and gin.  Not together though....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.