Burning but no reflux

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi I've had IBS for  years mainly due to the medication I take. Since March I've had burning pain in my mouth, throat, stomach  and beyond. The only way I can describe it is like being burned from the inside out. I've had an endoscopy  and barium x-ray and it isn't reflux or stomach acid or an ulcer. The pain is terrible and it's making me very miserable.  Has anybody else got anything like this or anybody have any ideas, I feel like the doctors think I'm imagining it. Any help would be appreciated.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi rebecca im the same had all tests done like you have gastroscopy and barium swallow blood tests and chest x rays all normal but still had symptoms burning pains and lump in throat went back to hospital and they told me I had gerd I asked why it was never picked up with the gastoscopy or barium and they said because there was no damage done by it to my esophagus or stomach that you can have gerd or acid reflux without damage being done but have really bad symptoms I was put on tablets twice a day for it they have helped alot I still have bad days but have to try now to find what triggers it for me its hard because up to two months ago I could eat and drink anything which is crazy cant understand how all of a sudden I get these symptoms out of no where maybe it is the same for you and you need to start on a ppi go back to your doctor with your symptoms and hopefully you will get something to help you take care and good luck .xx
    • Posted

I'm sorry for you but I'm glad it's not just me. The gastroenterologist who gave me the endoscopy said there was no irritation and no reflux. I'm already on maximum doses of esomeperazole and ranitidine which helps very slightly. Still doesn't explain the burning In my mouth. I'm now starting tohelp it diet wise. It is making me very miserable though. Unlike reflux  though it is better when I am eating or drinking and it Isnt bad lying down, if anything it's better at night.

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I still haven't really gotten to the bottom of what's going on with me but I have the same. I get mild burning in my chest most of the day but mime causes burning in my throat and mouth and a sore hoarse throat. I'm on omeprazole 20mg once a day but still not seen much improvement. I read somewhere about LPR where the acid doesn't affect the oesophagus much because the acid doesn't stay there long but it cones up higher and affects through more. Some people don't have any heartburn at all. Apparently its also less likely to respond to the usual treatment as well which might explain why you haven't had much luck with the tablets.

Xx

• Posted

Mine is the same. My voice is always hoarse and my mouth and throat both  feel very burnt, my mouth feels like it's been burnt by a drink all the time. I'm really worried about the damage it could be doing to me.

• Posted

Having same issues for about a week. Diagnosed with Gerd in January, GI doc did endoscopy in May, said no Gerd, could quit the Nexium, but for about a week now, having sore throat and lots of phlegm. Started taking PPI again, along with either Zantac or Pepcid. Don't know what to think now. 

• Posted

Hi, my brother has burning in his throat and pain in the esophagus and constantly feels a bitter taste in his mouth. He also has IBS, too. Some doctors said it's bile reflux, but one doctor said it may be "irritable esophagus", which is related to stress ad emotions. The dr said that the bitter taste is just a sense and it's not bile. Ask your doctor; yours might be the same. Above all, do not worry.

• Posted

I guess the diagnosis for reflux is not through endoscopy... at least for bile reflux I'm sure that's not the way. But if your doctor says you do not have reflux, maybe he's right... I think you can also consult another doctor.

• Posted

You may also be suffering from irritable esophagus, a stress-related condition in which you may suffer a great amount of pain by stress or a small amount of acid. Ask your doctor.
  • Posted

I have. This is very new to me, I'm going to see my doctor this week. I'm hoping this isn't the return of the h pylori bacteria. Have you found the problem yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.