Burning heel pain after Trimalleolar surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am 14 days after surgery of a dislocation and trimalleolar fracture. I have the last couple of days started to get burning heel pain which takes my breath away and painkillers don’t relieve it. Advice please? Would you say I should go back to the hospital? Thanks 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Idk what kind of painkillers you take but I found norco to help and icing. The burning sensation was the type of pain I had initially and then it was nerve shock type sensations for about a week and that tapered off. I felt the burning on the inside of my ankle the most. Now I still have the occasional burning on the outside but mostly it goes away anymore. I'm 3 months out after bimalleolar surgery. I hope it feels better soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback. I am taking paracetamol, ibruprofen and naproxen. These don’t seem to help with this’s particular pain but as you said it may be nerve damage. Just can’t get comfortable and feel my cast is pressing on my staples. H 
    • Posted

Yes. I don't know the extent of your injury but the burning is a common thing I've read on here. I thought for sure my splint was too tight after surgery. You may need a stronger pain medication to get you through. You may also have some nerve damage but it can also be the nerves just coming back. I don't have any numbness or tingling but I did have a solid week of feeling like my ankle was being electrocuted! That burning pain is the pits.

• Posted

Apparently it is the worst fracture you can have 1 plate 13 screws. 7 weeks in a back slab. Not that I know anything about fractures. It’s a process I suppose and as it’s healing maybe it goes through stages. Just depressing. I agree better pain killers. H 
    • Posted

I'm sorry. It can be depressing. I had 4 pins in a plate and a screw on the inside. I had a trimalleolar fracture but only needed the 2 repaired. I hadn't realized it would take so long to heal when I did it. I've never been a sedentary person and so it became a little too much near the time I was about to go back to work thankfully. I definitely

think you need more pain control, probably not 24/7 but once in awhile. Your body needs to be somewhat comfortable to heal well. At 2 weeks I was still havin occasional hydrocodone and Motrin otherwise. Try not to stay in the house too much and visit with friends. Hang in there and give your dr a ring about your pain smile

• Posted

I'm sorry. It can be depressing. I had 4 pins in a plate and a screw on the inside. I had a trimalleolar fracture but only needed the 2 repaired. I hadn't realized it would take so long to heal when I did it. I've never been a sedentary person and so it became a little too much near the time I was about to go back to work thankfully. I definitely

think you need more pain control, probably not 24/7 but once in awhile. Your body needs to be somewhat comfortable to heal well. At 2 weeks I was still havin occasional hydrocodone and Motrin otherwise. Try not to stay in the house too much and visit with friends. Hang in there and give your dr a ring about your pain smile

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I think it will

Take a long time to heal that I agree with you. I run marathons and trail runs so being sedentary is not my idea of fun. I’m thinking of going back to work next Thursday😂🤣 Im very flexible in my work hours and desk based. Trying to get out as much as I can. H

• Posted

Hi Heidi and others

Last month 15th Sept I fell down the stairs and dislocated my left ankle and broke in three places.. I’m two weeks until my cast is removed ( I hope) I hate having to hop using Zimmer frame, but not allowed to use Crutches.  I was getting geared up for removal of cast, but then started reading the messages from you all. And soon realised my pain hasn’t really started yet!  So now I’m feeling very nervous of the affects of no cast!!! I know I’ll have to have Physio and have to move and exercise the foot, and I knew would be stiff and sore.. But how sore I’ve no idea.  I’m taking paracetamol and Codeine at mo , but don’t want to stay on codiene for much longer.. I’m sure Para won’t be enough, but cannot take anti inflammatories as have Asthma. So will need to find something.. My Ankle is still swollen and the pain goes right up to my knee. I’m interested in reading how you are all dealing with your pains and the work going into getting back some normality.  my aim being to get to the bathroom without having to hope like flipping kangaroo lol.  Any tips will be gratefully received.. all the best to you  Heidi and all getting over breaks. 

• Posted

Hi Barbaralynn

You are so close to getting your cast off good luck. Sorry for your break. I’m still 4 weeks away from having my cast off. I am coming to the conclusion that pain at any stage of our recovery is inevitable. I really hope your pain isn’t too much. Let me know how you get on and rehab after your cast is off! I’m only on paracetamol, ibruprofen and naproxen. I have pain everyday and don’t even have my staples out yet. I hope all goes well and keep me is updated I would be interested on your journey. I also hop around like a kangaroo and can really only shower and dress myself. I have to rely on all my friends and family doing everything for me. Hx

• Posted

hi again Heidi

Im having less pain now, but the only bother is where screw is still. Wondering it that will calm down and settle better if it’s bruising or swelling that is causing it.. 

Had Physio come see me and gave me some strengthening exercises to do, as I’ve weakened a fair bit.. also I’m going to go yoga classes to help me afterward too.  Physio says a lady down road from me does them with older people too.. so she will be good for my recovery I think.. I’m 60, so I guess takes longer to heal than a 30year old lol, but I’m determined to get there.. coming down off the meds so when I have cast off I will start taking again if too painful.. saying that, the Physio has had both her knees and hips re done, New ones.. so when she says it should be too painful I’m more like to believe her.. but, she wasn’t walking on a former broken foot, so we will see biggrin. My balance is quite an issue which is a shame as it’s that reason I’ve not got the hang of crutches.. hoping Yoga will help that too. I’m looking forward to the day I can go in shower and back without being exhausted..  I’ve also realised the strain my heavy frame is having on my foot. So that’s going to change also. Lol. ..Babs

• Posted

Hi barbaralynn

I hope that your screw will settle down for you swelling and bruising can take a long time. 

You sound as though you are hanging in there and well done to you for doing Yoga. Balance is a tricky thing my core is quite good but even I had to eat ice not falling over in my crutches 😂🤣😂 Im sure a light boot reñir Cast will take some of the strain off. As a fitness person I’ve gone from running marathons to bed and home bound. Today my trainer picked me up and we did a short upper body weights and ab workout. I feel so much better and believe that the mind can work wonders for healing. Everyone is different but by the sounds of it you are coming along really well. My surgeon was very blunt and said it won’t be easy and there will be various pains and niggles along the way till you fully recover but he said I will recover. I have no doubt you will also. Enjoy your Yoga! Keep me updated on how it is all going. Hx 

• Posted

Hi Heidi how you doin? My Ankle is feeling much better now. But have started to get pain in my heel, which is odd. Hoping the cast can come off this next week.. I’ve been taking, or rather injecting myself in tummy or thigh to stop blood clot, but I’ve developed sort of welts over the areas so dr told me to stop when antihistamines not working, I stopped yesterday but started worrying I’d get blood clot lol. So until cast is off I’ll do one a day and not two.  Hopefully find out Monday..  Has anyone else had issues with heel pain in cast or problems with skin after injections. I’ve been having them for six weeks now.  Bruises and marks everywhere..

Have tried using crutches again but am really surprised at how much not walking etc has had on my balance.. when I’ve watched people on crutches, it always looked easy lol. Oh well, I guess I’ll get hang of it at some point!

• Posted

Hey Barbaralynn

I am only into 18 days after surgery! I’m doing ok with healing bit have heel pain big time. My surgeon says this is normal as cast presses on my heel also have bruising.  When this comes off it will right itself and my skin was inspected and intact. 

I have to unject myself every morning. I use ice to numb area but have bruises and sometimes blood blisters all over. My mum who k finished cancer chemo radiotherapy also had injections and her tunmy was like mine bruises etc! 

As for crutches not finding them easy but enough to get around! Practice makes perfect apparently! 

Hope you are ok and it sounds like you are progressing!

Hxxxxx

• Posted

Heidi , when I had plaster issues , pain in foot I went back to hosp and they did cast much better.. I’d try that if I were you 
    • Posted

hello Heidi.. My cast comes off tomorrow, I hope. Have to see consultant, so find out what is next! Still struggling with crutches... how do you get on with them?? All injections now stopped, thank God! I’ll let you know how things go
    • Posted

Hi Barbaralynn

Good news your cast comes off tomorrow! Let me know how that feels. I know that I’m not allowed to weight bear for another 2 weeks after mine comes off but that’s the extent of my injury. I will also have physio as soon as my cast comes off. I’m in pain still and my ankle always feels inflamed. I’m still waiting for an appointment for my 4 week review. Think it will be 5 weeks though as holiday here on the day my 4 weeks are up. I thought it would feel a lot better than it does but I still have to take painkillers occasionally. Im not so great on my crutches either although I have good core strength I feel unsteady on them. Stairs I just go up and down on my bottom. Good luck for tomorrow. Let me know how it goes. Hx 

• Posted

Cast is now of!! I’m so happy to see last of it too.. Ankle is incredibly dry and flaky , but tha will get better soon.. the foot feels vert stiff and sore where the screw is still out a bit under skin. Am now in a boot Heidi and it look like a Goth boot lol. Quite heavy I thought too.  I’m to have Physio now and walk on eggs shells, so I guess on my toe , which isn’t wearing them boots lol. I anything is going to hurt while walking I think it’s where screw is. Other than that foot doesn’t feel too bad. But then I’ve not walked yet, just put foot on floor, which felt nice under foot. STILL not allowed crutches, which left me gobsmacked! So still using darn Zimmer frame,, sigh! Waiting to hear from Physio now.  Will let u know how I get on... hope things calming down for you too Heidi!! Babs 
    • Posted

Hey babes, Ahhh I bet that’s lovely to have the cast off and a bit of air to your leg. Cannot believe you can’t have crutches. Do you have to wear the bot in bed? Walking on egg shells oh the joy even if it’s just with your toes. Slowly slowly catchy monkey. My surgeon said 2 weeks after the cast comes off I can weight bear a tiny bit. Are you starting physio straight away?  I’m still waiting for an X-ray and 4 week review. It’s been over 4 weeks so a little impatient. Hx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.