Burning/hot sensation on face and neck. Is it IBS, anxiety, depression, or something else?.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ive had IBS for more than ten years now,on and off, so I've been able to sort of manage my symptoms. But recently I've been having burning or warm sensation on my face and neck. Does anyone ever have this? It's annoying because I don't feel feverish and it cause sweating and I'm not hit to the touch. I feel like heat trapped in my body.

I'm also suffering from anxiety and depression, so I'm pretty confused.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sahliel did you find out about the burning i have ibs too and have had it for years and now my face and neck have started burning but cool to touch my doctor dont know what it is

• Posted

hi Nee Nee. have you been tested for Lupus?? Butterfly rash is a common symptom as is IBS type symptoms. Rash will probably come and go. I have the rash but not all the time. 
    • Posted

HI Nee Nee,

My psychologist told me it a symptom of my anxiety. We are still trying to work on it though. I did notice that the heat goes away when i have or about to have my period. Could be hormone related...

• Posted

I share these symptoms. I have ibs-c as well. Some are anxiety, some may be related to unknown allergies and histamine intollerances. It's something to consider

• Posted

The sensation went away for few months and had just recurred last week. With it, i now have bouts of diarrhea runs(sorry for the tmi) and bloating, so it could well be related to IBS. I will do some research on the histamine intolerance one. Thank you.
    • Posted

It's fun you mention the runs, I have that now after coming off ppi. I think it's the acid rebound breaking down food so fast. My stomach burns badly. I have found out though that ppi can give you gastritis from rebound , the very thing you take them for ...it can also cause. I even came off them exactly how I was suppose to.stillhorrible rebound

• Posted

Hi,

I know it has been years at this point but I have been experiencing these same issues for months now. Heat, redness, no sweating. I do have anxiety and depression and IBS but it definitely feels like there is more to it. Have you found any answers? I feel like every doctor is so quick to blame it on anxiety and not even bother running any tests to rule anything out. Thanks for your time and your post. I hope to hear an update from you soon.

• Posted

Hi Chelsea,

Unfortunately I haven’t found any answer. It did went away for several months and had just reappeared. It is very frustrating and really hoping for a diagnosis.

• Posted

I mentioned this earlier but histamine sensitivity may be something to look into. Have you ever been tested for celiac as well?
    • Posted

Hi there-I have suffered terribly with the burning sensation.  I have been screened for carcinoid syndrome, and it came back negative.  I am 61 and have been post menopausal for 6 years, my menopause symptoms have really ramped up in the last year—-I guess my hormones finally crashed.  I too suffer from horrible anxiety, so was wondering if the burning and electric  nerve ending feeling was caused by anxiety.  Most people think I am nuts when I complain about this, but it’s one of my worst symptoms.  I also have had dry mouth, shortness of breath and the list goes on...bad digestion.  This burning stuff tends to come on in early morning or middle of the night, as I am typing this though I am getting it again.  I have also suffered with bad bouts anf indigestion.  Ugh, if you are still on here, I would love to compare notes.  Thank you,
    • Posted

I have dry mouth as well.Do you ever have itchy skin...like bugs crawling everywhere but nothing's there? That's what I'm going through. It could be hormones, anxiety or stress combined but doctors just tell me they don't know and move on. I have hot skin at times, the burning I'm not sure if it's related to my gastritis flares or not

• Posted

Hi Jeremy - I haven’t gotten the itchy skin, hope that’s not next - I certainly have gotten the dry mouth though - my acupuncturist said dry mouth relates to your adrenal glands.  
    • Posted

My adrenals are fine, but the majority of my symptoms are from mast cell activation or excess histamine being produced. We haven't found the cause of the itching yet however.

• Posted

Much sympathy. I have a connective tissue disorder. V difficult. After long treatment just gone into remission which is kind of amazing really.
    • Posted

Hi Debra,

I've been seeing a psychological therapist(for health anxiety) for well over a year now. Since then, the burning sensation have disappeared until i abruptly stopped my medication. Now that i'm back on it the sensations has disappeared again. I strongly believe it could also be related to IBS(which i think may have been caused by my anxiety). Once my IBS symptoms have been treated the burning has gone away. My therapist have helped me to understand that my health anxiety could cause numerous "abnormal symptoms" of what i thought were real life threatening illnesses. I'm not saying it's all caused by anxiety, but perhaps when all else fails, it's the only answer i could find so far. 

• Posted

I do have those itchy sensation, mostly on my feet. But mine almost feel like tingling sensation where scratching does not relief it. So i just ignore it and let it go until it passes. But i don't have it often. I can't even remember exactly when was the last time i had it. 

• Posted

Yeah, itching doesn't help me either. I just feel creepy crawlies everywhere. My diet is so strict that I know it isn't food related. Just praying for everything to work itself out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.