Burning in feet.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,  I have had burning sensations in my feet since December 2016, primarily my right foot.  This went away in June last year, and returned in December.  Pain is extreme,  went to two neurologistslast year,  no cause found,  going to another neurologist now,  EMG/NCV was perfect, no neuropathy,  on EMG, he performed  A Skin sympathetic sudomotor,  was ok,  report said no evidence of large or small fiber neuropathy.  this last RMG was done two weeks ago.  I'm not diabetic. I know I'm extremely anxious. .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

A burning sensation is a sign of neuropathy. Other causes include medications, exposure to toxins, shingles, and injury.
    • Posted

Hi,  my EMG/NCV  was clear,  neuro said my nerves are strong? No neuropathy.? Skin sympathetic sudomotor showed normal latency as well?.
    • Posted

Your symptoms sound like neuropathy.  It could be that those tests only show a particular type of neuropathy but don’t show  other types.  Burning, numbness, pins and needles, and sharp or throbbing pain are signs of neuropathy.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with neuropathy after reporting burning, pins and needles, stabbing and throbbing pain and numbness in my arm.  It was caused by a blood test done by someone who didn’t know what she was doing.
  • Posted

Hi Joe,  I too have had burning feet (symmetrical pain in both feet) ......for the last 3years.................the burning first presented suddenly......just 9-10 days following double knee replacement surgery.

My symptoms come and go during the day, and are good at night. Also lying down &/or elevating feet help. 

Neurologist diagnosed "post surgical inflammatory neuropathy", and said inflamation and pain should soon go away....................but whilst the burning has dissapated over time, I still have pain most days.

I too am not diabetic, all my bloods come back as OK, and am otherwise in v good health.

Anyone else out there with similar issues?

• Posted

Hi Bruce,  the thing is my neurologist on EMG.NCV report says,  no neuropathy at this time,  and he is accredited from a well know university health care system in this area.  He even told me in person that my nerves are strong.?

he put me on mexiletine 150 mg twice a day.

So I'm lost.

• Posted

I got neuropathy after a blood test and the damage is permanent.  Unfortunately medical procedures can leave things behind
  • Posted

Hi I have had burning sensation and very cold feet at night for some years now. Due to the blood flow not getting to my feet when lying down. I find wearing thick bed socks at night a great help.

• Posted

I have neuropathy in both feet now. Not diabetic. Started with numb big toes.  Now ur is worse and have burning also. Neuro tests were normal. Was sent to Stanford Neuro, retested and normal. They did 3 punch biopsies that were sent to a lab in NY.  I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy, unknown cause.  You might want to get that checked with biopsies.  Nit a major procedure, just a bit uncomfortable and done in the office. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.