burning in the urethra

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI

I have been using an intermittent catheter 4/5 times daily for the past 25 years without to much grief apart from the usual UTI's 

In the past 6 months I have been unable to pee before I use the catheter as I normally would to clear the urethra of any bacteria. and when I pass my catheter it is somewhat difficult to get in and my urethra feels all spongy and I am having to put it in further before I can get it to flow. Throughout the day I am getting this strange feeling that I can only describe as fizzing in the urethra it is most uncomfortable and painful.

The reason I use the catheter is because I stopped getting messages from the brain that I needed to pee and consequently the bladder stretched to 4 times the normal size and as you are all probably aware it doesn't go back a bit like a balloon that has been blown up to many times. so I have a residual  of sometimes up to 600ml

L x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Like you, I also have to self catheterise 6/7 times per day.  My bladder is the same as yours Atonic. I haven’t met anyone else with the same problem as myself before so was quite intrigued when I saw your post. I now have an embedded infection and have to take massive doses of 2 different antibiotics to stay alive. When the antibiotics stop working, that’s it for me. Quite depressing really. Although I take each day at a time and try to stay positive. I too can get burning in my urethra and sometimes it can be yeast causing it. Are you taking full course of antibiotics?

Sam x

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I am so sorry to hear of your plight, it must be hard to keep cheerful.

Like you antibiotics over the years have become a way of life, I suppose after so many years of passing a catheter it is inevitable that the trauma to the urethra it would give up the ghost one day, some years ago they offered me a super pubic catheter but so far I have refused.

I have also never met anyone before with same problem, so am glad I have found you, if you just want to chat and get things off your chest anytime I am happy to listen.

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for your kind message. It does help to find someone that you can relate to. It’s such a shame that we find ourselves in this awful situation. I take it that you are in the UK like me. If it’s ok with you I can private message you. Please let me know if that’s ok. Thank you so much Linda. 

Kindest regards,

Sam x

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Yes I am in the UK and will be happy for you to private message me, 

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Are you ok did you get my reply to your private message? not sure I did it right I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to technology.

Linda x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.