Burning in voice box when talking.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I suspect everyone's symptoms dont present the same! Hope people have time to read this. Yes all this messes with your head there is no doubt. At the end of the day I'd like to meet anyone who doesn't have some level of health anxiety. I'll try and best describe my issue and maybe it will help you and other also. At current I have a very odd burning sensation in my larynx when I talk, it gets worse the more I talk also. I'm self employed and this makes it extremely difficult to talk to clients, i tend to avoid talking to people because of this which sucks. Some symptoms and then a little history. Male in the early 40s, dont smoke, very athletic and eat well. Burning sensation localized on left side only of larynx in a specific spot beside my larynx. This pain area cant really be felt on the outside with my hand but I sure can feel it when I breath in oddly enough! Sometimes when I relax I almost feel normal. I also get this cold air feeling throughout my mouth and tongue which is worse somedays than others, (this may be anxiety but I'm not so sure yet as it's never presented this way). The left side of my larynx feels like I have a knife stuck in it from about 8am till 10pm. This odd ache and hot sensation seems to travel towards my ear on the same side and I swear I can feel it in my teeth. Neck muscles a slight bit sore also same side. Sometimes I feel a wierd tickling left side chest, this all seems to send some wierd charge and somewhat electrify my whole body as if its an anxiety feeling. So strange how they seem tied together. This all started after what I think was some sort of viral throat infection left sided (I could see it when I looked way down) June 2017 over 1 year ago, one thing to note the wildfires were so bad that year...months of thick smoke makes me wonder. My symptoms have changed throughout this year period and some have come and some have gone. One strange one I'll never forget in my whole larynx cramped up for like 3 months. Lifting my chin up and putting it to my chest felt very tight and delivered a slight bit of pain. Talking was such a fricken strain you wouldn't believe it. If i tried to sing a higher note...wham it almost dropped me to my knees always left side Layengeal muscle, that seems better now but if I sing I'll pay for it for 2 days after so I dont bother. During this time I actually thought I was on my way out, I'm still not so sure...lol! In the beginning it took me 2 months to finally see a doctor, he looked in my mouth said it's not a bacterial infection and shrugged his shoulders, my fault for probably going in to emerg at 12Am guess I panicked but I was going on a trip where there was no communication for 10 days... Then when I returned I fought this thing with garlic and ginger etc etc for months and it wouldn't let up left side always...finally I went into the clinic in that Dec...throat was all red. Well of course here come the ppi's as he figured I had reflux. At this time it felt like my head was gonna pop off and I had a belt strapped around my neck! Ha (not from the ppi's either). Very scary let me tell ya! When ppi's did nothing (3 week trial) then he said it was anxiety and depression...well no kidding after all this. He tried to get me to take anti depressants which I did for 7 days and it felt like my skin was on fire so forget all that. Since about January till now ive watched what I eat big time, I've had blood work including thyroid...all perfect. 3 larynx scopes saw a bit of inflamation on first 2 but all looks fine on the last. 1 endoscopy w/ stomach biopsy, tight lES etc.....nothing. they just shrug their shoulders. Now I'm scheduled for an ultrasound and more talk with the ent. We will see, my last visit with him he suggested Spamatic Dysphonia. My gut and research tells me that I have nerve damage somewhere left side of my larynx. I'm not sure of LPR but I haven't ruled that out yet as it seems it can be very complex. Nerve damage can reek havoc on these delicate systems so who knows if its causing some type of relfux. I'm pretty sure I had muscle tension dysphonia for 3 months there...wow. Maybe this all has a neurological component to it...why wouldnt it after all of that! Still at the end of the day I had something happen left side of throat deep down into where my Arytnoid of my larynx is, maybe its chondritis, or something like Eagles syndrome. Maybe I'll never know...fyi otc pain killers do very little if nothing and im totally fine when I sleep and for about 30 minutes in the morning till thing cranks up. Sure makes you focus on the pain, changes your whole perception on life and how people must suffer. Maybe not a bad lesson but I think by now I've learned mine. Feel free to share your story.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i have exactly the same

symptoms but on the right side. did you get a diagnosis your reply will be appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.