Burning knee pain and meds

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am concerned about taking so much medication. I am not a person that likes to take medication but with this TKR I have to. I'm now taking 6 to 8 hydrocodone with Tylenol every day. It does help with the Burning nerve pain I have when I'm up on it but it starts to wear off after three hours. I don't want to take these meds more then every four hours so when it starts to burn I elevate it until I take meds again. I am concerned that taking meds for so long will tear up my stomach. I'm just wondering what others have experienced with their medication and if there something else I can take that will last longer?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Nancy. I'll be interested to hear the responses you get. Whille I don't need meds as often as you do I still need Vicodin at specific times of the day for joint achiness that becomes too much to deal with. Keep your chin up and soldier on, we'll both get better a little at a time.
  • Posted

Tylenol doesn't do much for me. Ibuprofen is what I am taking now every 6-8 hours. I got off Percocet because it had a narcotic in it, and it caused me to be ITCHY for some reason AND I found I would just drop off to sleep without realizing it!

Aspirin products are probably going to cause some stomach issues, but they also seem to work better for me to help with pain and inflammation.

Sometimes switching off a medication to a different one helps me. It is like my body gets used to one, and then it becomes ineffective.

• Posted

hi yes i know where your coming from  ive had bi lateral dec2012  and i was unlucky that one of the knees went wrong with a resul of going through another op to open it up again 3mths later but it did no good so ive had revision las aug 2014 im now doing better but it will never be as good as the other knee but i can live with it  now thats what happened to me so with all the ops ive had to take meds and yes i did get hooked on the higher dose of them but i did manage to reduce them before all these ops i would have been like you as im not a meds person but since all this ive learned to take all i need and when things settle down reduce the meds do it slowly and its no problem and no lasting result to your health i have a good gp who reasured me and has helped me to control the pain when i needed it when i needed meds i took zydol 200 mg slow releese and then reduced them to 100mg  slow releese  also i took anti inflamatory arcoxia 90 mg with a tablet to protect my tummy it was pantaprozole  ive had no stomach problems with them the ones i had in hospital were very harsh on my tummy  i found the slow releese tablets really good they lasted all day which suited me as that is when i needed them to excersise at night i tried not to take them as i felt in bed it was not so bad but if i had a bad night i would take them in that situation hope that helps
  • Posted

When taken as prescribed pain meds are exactly what you need to get you through this. Too many people decide to stop or slow down and get to the point they hurt too bad to excercise properly so they cut back there and then don't show progress. As with most pain meds, take with food and lots of water. The real had side effect early on of course is constipation which then leads to not feeling good enough to excercise. You body will tell you when you can cut back and finally get off them. Talk to your dr if the drugs are underperforming. I had been on hydrocodone for some time and 3csurgeries ago the Dr switched me to oxycodone. With that can take adjust my dosage according to pain level
    • Posted

Thanks again for your info.

By the way did I read somewhere that you are from Chicago. If so I was born and raised in Evenston

• Posted

I'm from Kansas City but know Evenston. My son lived in the Chicago area at one time and I worked for an organization that headquartered less than 100 N.W of chicago, in southern WI.
  • Posted

Have you tried icing the knee to extend the time between meds? I found that helped a lot. Also I would talk to your doctor if that doesn't work as it seems like a lot to be taking. I was prescribed Oxycodone - one or two every 4 to 5 hours with two Tylenol each time (apparently the Tylenol boosts the effect). Oxycodone may be a bit stronger. However I was able to get down to 2 or three total a day quite quickly so your pain sounds a little abnormal.
  • Posted

I just wanted to tell all of you that my Dr changed my meds to a nerve med called Neurontin. And ibuprofen.  Monday night was the first night I took it and was surprised Tuesday at no nerve pain.  Take  the 800 ibuprofen about 9 am and 3. All day Tuesday I was able to be up and even went out to dinner. My leg did get stiff sitting for an hour but I was able to stretch it so I could get up and walk. Now today I am doing pretty good again my  leg still swells some. So I rest and ice it. I am so happy the nerve pain is gone.
  • Posted

So glad to here you've found something that works. Isn't it great to get out of the house for a bit? An hour is about all I can handle too. Keep on moving forward!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.