Burning left side of chest

Posted , 3 users are following.

so I am 48 years old and went to the er 2 months ago diagnosed with gastritis an bleeding ulcers and anxiety. Also did a full cardiac blood panel ekg and 48 hour heart monitor...all normal. I have had burning in my chest and throat and shoulder and a mild headache.Any thoughts on if this could be cardiac related even if things came back normal just a couple months ago

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think the reassuring thing is that so far cardiac wise it's all clear and you have had a diagnosis that would explain the burning sensations. I think alongside your ulcer you may have a bad case of Esophagitis. What ever antacids/proton pumps they gave you should help with it. My dad has a history of a lot of ulcers and he had the same symptoms as your describing.

Do you have a family history of heart problems, are you healthy? (eat well and exercise, not overweight) it's really great you had the 48 hour tests that's a very useful test it's unlikely you have any long lasting arythmia if that was clear.

Maybe ask for an echo to look at the structure of the heart or a stress echo.

Just want to say If you ever feel like your heart is racing, sit down and relax for a bit and sip water and deep breaths. It can help even if it's not anxiety triggered. If a fast heart rate bothers you ask your GP about beta blockers, there also used of label for anxiety and migraines. They can disuse if they think it's suitable for you.

I really don't think it's cardiac but I'm not a doctor, so don't stop with my advice. Keep going to your GP and if it gets severe please go to the hospital.

Take care of yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions.

• Posted

Some of the burning could be GERD. I am 54 and have had similar issues and mine is GERD. I know how frustrating this process is since I continue to have cardiac workups each time I have symptoms. Its always a relief that its not cardiac, However, I have been told by my cardiologist that I will need to be checked every time since I can never tell fir sure if it us my GERD, Costochondritis, or other connective tissue problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.