burning mouth syndrome

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi

I've been suffering from this for about 2 month.

At first I didn't know what it was till I googled my symptoms

I have a taste which at first was metallic it's now sometimes salty.

The roof of my mouth and tongue feels like i had scalded it like with a hot drink though I havnt

My mouth gets dry and it's worse then.

I take venlafaxine antidepressant, and I'm thinking is it this.

Do you suffer for this? And if so what's it symptoms or have you got rid off it.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HIya I started with tingling tounge and burning in Dec after had a white filling on second tooth m also was using Duraphat Toothpaste I’ve had it 3 months now n first I thought it was toothpaste I stopped that 2 week ago as I kept saying to dentist I think it’s toothpaste he said no I also had bloods done I’m low in vitamin d n iron I’m on tablets my anxiety as been bad cos of all this I’m not sure wat out of all these is causing it I so badly want it to stop I’m struggling to cope 
  • Edited

Hi,

I just wanted to sympathasise, and share what's happened to me. I've had terrible burning mouth syndrome for the past 12 months which has got worse and worse and reduced me to tears. I absolutely know how awful this can be.

However just in the past 2 or 3 weeks things have started to improve. I don't know which of these things is the key or if it's the combination.

First I got a soft head for my electric toothbrush. I didn't know you could get such a thing. Next we bought an electric flossing machine which I use every night before I clean my teeth. It uses a water jet to floss around my teeth instead of the brushes. I use it before not after so I don't wash off my special.toothpaste.

Then I got a special toothpaste which is SLS (sodium laurel sulphate) and mint free - it's called Zendium sensitive. Then I started using a mouthwash twice a day called Fluoriguard. This apparently strengthens the enamel. This is a long term treatment but funnily enough when I use it if does seem to help.

Then I started talking alpha lipoic acid 600 mg twice a day. This is an antioxidant used for people with neuropathic pain. I've read it can be helpful and I can't find any information to suggest its dangerous - so I'm trying it.

We also found my husband is allergic to methylisothiazolinone which is in Asda washing up liquid! His hands swelled right up after doing the washing up. The product is listed on the back of the bottle with an exclamation mark and I looked it up and was horrified to find 1.5% of the population are allergic to this! So I then found this substance is also in dishwasher tablets, fabric softener, and other cleaning products. So we have got rid of all these poisonous cleaning materials and bought eco-friendly, simple products instead. I wondered if as I was eating off plates and with knives and forks that have been in that washing up water if that could be irritating my gums? It's a possibility. So for the past few weeks we have only been using these new products.

I also have a wonderful.mouth guard called a Sova guard. It was expensive but it's so much better than my old cheap one. It's thin, lightweight and firm and when it's in it really relieves my symptoms. I often wear it all day in front of the computer when I'm working!

Anyhow it's still early days but the last 2 nights I have been able to watch TV without my mouthguard in and hopping up and down to rinse my mouth out and gnash and wail. I feel it's just a little bit better- maybe 10 or 20 % But that makes all the difference and it may hopefully just continue to improve as all these changes set in - fingers crossed.

I'm also waiting for the results of a mouth biopsy I had about 3 weeks ago so that might give further clues.

I'm 58, and on HRT, ant I'm shocked as I've just had an osteoporotic fracture. So I am just changing my calcium supplements from calcium carbonate to calcium.citrate as this is better absorbed. Part of the mouth problem may be due to osteoporosis and losing calcium from my teeth. I'm also upping the vitamin D to 2000 IU per day. You can't absorb calcium properly unless you have enough vitamin D.

Anyhow just in case this information helps anyone I wanted to post it. It's such a debilitating problem and anything we can do to help each other has to be good! I've done so much reading about this I'm worn out with it!

Best of luck to you all,

Daisy

• Posted

Hi Clio,

Did you figure out what was causing the problem? I have the exact same symptoms of yours except that I don't take any medications. Please let me know if you did something and it worked? 😦

• Posted

Hi All,

I've had bouts with tongue pain and canker sores for a number of years. IT is getting worse and more frequent. I went to an acupuncturist and he suggested that I don't eat foods that have been cooked at really high temperatures. I also started taking L-Lysine 1000 mg a day. this really helped at the time and I've been less consistent about it lately. The pain has become worse lately and very red underneath the tip of my tongue. Anyways, I've been reading more about BMS and found this site. I'm definitely post menopausal. I may get tested for allergies to see if it's a food or substance that I'm using. I think stress is a trigger for sure. I appreciate all of your posts. Love and light to all.

Anne

• Posted

Its possible for medication to cause these effects, especially when taking the medication without food and drink at night before bedtime. I believe you should try drinking more squash, its favoured water.

• Posted

The metallic taste is either medication after taste or its a filling in its decaying stages. Fillings decay but very very slowly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.